Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How to remove engine cover

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2015, 2:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove engine cover

How do I remove my engine cover on my 2007 2500 express.
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its in the owners manual, but you remove the plastic cup holder part up top, then a strap underneath.
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Okay thats for my 2002, your is more complicated......here is a vid.

Old July 7th, 2015, 8:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the video. Finally got around to following thru with it. Engine has 117,000 on it so I assume the plugs were original. I was right. Installed new ones along with plug wires. Big difference in performance.Difficult job tho. Certainly glad that I won't have to do it again for several years. Vehicle came with fresh oil installed by dealer, but I'm going to change very soon. Am considering Mobil 1 5w-30. Thoughts anyone?
Old July 9th, 2015, 5:37 PM
CF Veteran

I like high mileage oil for high mileage engines myself. Also, you change the spark plugs through the wheel wells not the engine cover don't you?
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Only the front plugs on each side required the removal of the front tires. Even then it wasn't that easy. I strongly recommend doing this on a cool engine so you can stuff a rag between the block and manifold. If a plug falls into that space it can be a real pain to get out. You mentioned "high mileage oil". Could you elaborate on that.
Old July 10th, 2015, 1:00 AM
CF Veteran

I wasn't sure on the Ls engines on the plug removal. On my vortec 350 is all 4 from the wheel well.
As for the oil. High mileage oil has more ZDDP which is better for anti wear. It also can reduce leaks, and on my engine seemed to increase oil pressure at low idle. however I am not sure on the ls engines if that is better. You should google it, and see. there are tons of discussion forums on oil......bobistheoilguy for example.
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:27 PM
CF Active Member

what plugs and wires did you go with? Mine has about 130k and hasn't been done yet either. It runs great, so I keep putting it off. have a set of both in my cart on Amazon, just need to pull the trigger.
Old July 17th, 2015, 5:39 AM
CF Junior Member

I went with the 41-962 plugs from Autozone. Performance and fuel economy has improved significantly. I also used "never seize" on the plugs. A very thin coat is all thats needed.
Old July 17th, 2015, 7:47 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks, those are what I have in my amazon cart too. Should order them and get them changed. I have noticed a little sluggishness.

Quick Reply: How to remove engine cover