Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How To Remove Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2015, 4:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Remove Front Bumper

Do you have to remove the front grill to remove the lower metal bumper?
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the front lower metal bumper. Any tips would be appreciated. I have a 2004 chevy express 3500.
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its pretty straightforward... I believe if you remove the plastic grill, its easier to see everything but can remember 100%... But basically the whole bumper is held on by two vertical bolts. The harder part is leveraging the whole rig so it doesn't come crashing down on your toes. Lol.
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my 2002 there is two brackets the bolt to the bumper and those brackets are what you remove from the van. The bumper is light duty, and has a strut inside of it for extra crash support. The bumper is bolted to that strut, and that strut is bolted to the van. Remove them as a unit and then separate them if you need on the floor.
you don't need to remove anything beforehand. just look under the bumper with a light and you can see how the flange on the strut is bolted to the frame.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got under there and see the bolts but the bolts are rusty. So I ordered some Kano Kroil, penetrating oil so I can remove the bolts. Is it easier to remove the bumper by removing the front grille? What do you recommend removing the bolts with? A ratchet, wrench, etc. Those bottles are a sob to remove.
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The grill has nothing to do with the bumper. At least not on my van. The bolts are 1/2 inch ratchet I think, and the nuts are those crappy clip on ones, and if you over stress them, the clip part will break off then it will just spin. I had to get vice grips involved on one.....
for sure soak them in penetrating oil and then have at it.....