Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How to replace front speakers in a G Van.

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to replace front speakers in a G Van.

If you go to Crutchfield.com they will tell you it is a very difficult job to replace the speakers in a G Van. But it isnt, just time consuming. I wont cover rear speakers because of the various different body styles these cars come in that any information could be irrelevant from the start.

Model: 1993 G30 Sport Van

I had the 4" speakers in the front dash that I thought were crap and I wanted to replace them with Blaupunkt 6.5". In hindsight I think those speakers may have been too big but they give a nice sound so I m impressed.

1. a. Remove the A-pillar paneling on the left and right.

b. Remove the top post above the front doors.

c. Remove the B pillar paneling. (All philips head screws)

d. Remove screws on the top part of the dashboard around the vents.

e. Remove screws under the dash left and right, hood release lever, and parking brake lever.

f. According to your vehicle you may have to remove screws around the doghouse just so it is free to move.

2. The dashboard has to be removed from the windshield, not necessarily the car to get access to the speakers. There are 13mm bolts at the base of the dashboard, on the A pillar and one by the doghouse, in the middle of the instrument panel.

a. the speaker screws are 7mm, there are 4 per speaker. On the right side now that the dash screws and bolts are out the dash should move away from the windshield so you can get a wrench in there to remove the speaker.

b. on the left side, you have to drop the steering wheel and(to assist in visibility) remove the instrument cluster. Two 13mm nuts hold the wheel in place. Remove them and the wheel should sling to the seat allowing you to get your hand in there to remove the speaker.

Thats it.

Now like I said I used 6.5" 3 way round speakers instead of factory stock replacements. And I spent a while trying to find the best way to get them in there. Now the final steps are if you want to do what I did.

3. I put the speaker under the dash panel on the mounting surface of the previous speaker. Its an awful fit because the speaker body is wider than the previous one AND the components extend out of the speaker where the previous one didnt do that.

a. To compensate for that I had to cut away the factory speaker vents in the top of the dash allowing the midrange and tweeter segments to extrude through the dash panel AND removing any restrictions from the woofer segment which would compromise sound.

b. I know I wasnt going to get all 4 screws back in there to mount the speaker primarily because it wasnt the same shape nor size, so I just tried to get one or two screws in and fasten them as firm I could.

c. In order to keep it looking orderly and not sloppy I used the speaker covers over the extruded portions, lining up the screw holes with whatever mounting holes under the dash panel in the speaker housing. Applied firmly to make sure it shouldnt move and that is it. Oh, and have the radio on so you can properly phase the speaker terminals so you dont have to go in there again.

d. 5 1/4" might have been better as well as installing some in the door. But so far, I got a real heavy sound(considering the pre-amp equalizer and extra rear speakers).

If I left something out let me know...

*Remember this removal procedure when you have to do a heater core, its is the same.

Last edited by RacerX; January 1st, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Elisia Friedman (August 18th, 2020)
Old January 2nd, 2011, 1:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to Circuit City about 6 years ago, got a new radio installed(Alpine detachable face) wanted to replace the 2
speakers on the front but the installer told me that he couldn't find the instructions to do so, me thinks it was a very labor intensive job. so I have a decent
car stereo with crappy factory speakers. It is what it is.

As we all know a good set of speakers makes a world of a difference. Then again my van is just a work van and not a
luxury van.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 7:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, now you have an idea of how to do it yourself.
Old October 24th, 2011, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving Dash speakers to the Doors

Why not run speaker wire from the head unit over to the two front doors and mount your speakers in that location? Are the doors ok for mounting a speaker. I am considering doing that with my 1993.
Old August 18th, 2020, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RacerX

b. on the left side, you have to drop the steering wheel and(to assist in visibility) remove the instrument cluster. Two 13mm nuts hold the wheel in place. Remove them and the wheel should sling to the seat allowing you to get your hand in there to remove the speaker.
Thanks so much for this, the confirmation that the steering column needed to be unbolted made me much more confident in getting that ******* drivers side speaker in!
Old August 21st, 2020, 5:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

On my 1988 the dash had some odd holes in it so I swapped over a whole 1991 dash pad. I was going to open it up anyways to run the radio wires up the right A-post so the radio can mount in an overhead console that by then was on it's fourth van. It wasn't hard, but it was a lot of work. I don't recall dropping the column to do it but I may have since I swapped that out too.

The overhead unit was just a flat piece of wood with a couple of cubbies with doors over the visors and it originally had a set of switches in a panel in the center. I opened it up a tad for a single DIN stereo. It's easier to reach up there and less of a theft target since guys looking to steal one are unlikely to look up and see it there. You could make your own easy enough with a 1x4 or 1x5 board cut to the shape of the top and a piece of Eucaboard or thin plywood attached to the bottom and run out to the windshield opening.