Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How to tell a Base Express from an LS?

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2015, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to tell a Base Express from an LS?

Tried entering the VIN in a few web sites but they tell me what engine etc.. Can anyone tell me how, on my 2008, 2500 Express passenger van to figure out if I have a BASE or LS Model? I imagine there has to be a VIN # that points to it? Thank you
Old October 19th, 2015, 6:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

An LS will have badges will it not?

My van was a custom order from the dealership I believe. It has a lot of options for a cargo van, it's nearly fully loaded. But there's no badges.

I think the LS, LT basically just defines a predetermined option group. And for vans, there really isn't too many options. Not if you compare them to a Silverado.

Post your engine, chrome or lack thereof and your options. I would assume LT is fully loaded, or near it. LS would be middle ground and Base, well, that would be base. No anything.
Old October 19th, 2015, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that...Got my gears turning. I do only have a rubber floor mat and not chrome bumpers but black. I do have the 6.o but guess that is a 2500 engine? It's a passenger van with added rear ac and speakers with the doors and sides trimmed out with grey plastic walls. That was what through me. No LS markings so I am hoping I am on track with Basic. No cruise control but I do have the oil life indicator.
Old October 19th, 2015, 7:05 PM
CF Pro Member

2008 will be a touch different.

I am leaning on Base. But when I say options... do you have power windows? Tinted Glass? What covering is on the seats? Power Mirrors? Old school headlamps or newschool? What radio do you have? Tilt? Cruise? AC? Which wheels? Which door configuration? Power Seats? Rear A/C? Which Dome lamp? Lighted/Mirrored Sunshades? Which Radio?

I am leaning on base. But it doesn't really matter does it? It's just a badge, it's the options you actually have. As far as the motor, I don't know but I'd assume a 2500 could have came with a 5.3L or even a 4.8L. My previous 2500 had a 4.8L. But I'd also assume the higher the badge, the bigger the motor. The 6.0L, I was very scared of it, you'll find my threads if you look. But it's really not much harder at all on gas and from all the things I have read, I am glad I have it. Iron block and dependability. Who wants to work on that thing from the doghouse? I couldn't afford it.

Last edited by dberladyn; October 19th, 2015 at 7:09 PM.
Old October 19th, 2015, 9:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Inside the glove box sohould be an options decal. It has all the codes for what the van has. A dealership can decode it for you if you cannot find it online.
In my opinion though... An LS passenger will have the carpet floor not vinyl, and would have the chrome appearance package.
Old October 21st, 2015, 5:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand the no badges deal on these vans. They don't even write 2500/3500 on the doors any more... and that's kinda important.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 8:16 AM
CF Pro Member

They are just squeezing every ounce of profit they can from this design. I paid too much for mine. For the amount of material and the options I have compared to a Silverado of newer engineering, I paid far too much.

You can easily seperate 2500/3500 from a 1500 by counting lugnuts. After that, the 3500 sits higher than a 2500, but the only way to tell is to check the vin or perhaps the door label. Yeah, it's.. not a great thing for GM to be proud of, but in the end it doesn't matter to me. I kind of like the "sleeper" aspect with mine.