Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Improving mpg on a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2015, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving mpg on a rebuild

I may be in a position to get a 2003 AWD van for a song...body and interior are in great shape but the mechanical end is very tired. I will (hopefully) run well enough to pass smog when I change the reg, but where I live, I won't have to have anyone stick anything up the tail pipe ever again.

I would like to change it from AWD to 4WD - so that there is a 2WD mode, use a 3.x (1-2) in the rear ends...add tabs to the back of the van, lower it 2 inches, and do a rebuild of the engine and tranny. Any chance I will be able to squeeze 20 or more mpg out of this van? I do a lot of camping on weekends and during my holidays (I am a teacher) but I want to use this as a daily driver as well - I am not in a position to have 2 cars now. The van will have the 2 front driver seats and a bench behind those, then about 500 pounds of stuff for camping.

Any thoughts?
Old March 14th, 2015, 1:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt you would do much better than the advertised MPG. If anything you might make it worse doing those modifications.

I would research the current AWD system. You may already be in 2wd until it detects slippage. I am not sure what system these vans have.

I don't understand why you would want to add 4wd and lower the van 2"??? Especially if you are using it for camping. This will effect its payload.. of which isn't much on a 1500.
Old March 14th, 2015, 1:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the above poster. It's not like the GM engineers intentionally ignore things that improve fuel economy. Maybe in the 1960's, but not now.
Old March 14th, 2015, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advertised is 17 mpg?
Old March 16th, 2015, 1:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Advertised is based on going downhill with a tailwind.....lol
Expect 13 to 15 average.