Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

instrument cluster bulbs

Old February 19th, 2016, 8:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default instrument cluster bulbs

I have my cluster out from my dash removal on my '92 Vandura and thought I'd replace the bulbs. Ran down to my local Canadian Tire and purchased 194 bulbs. When I tried pulling out an old bulb the wires were wrapped around the outside of the base. Best described as those mini Christmas light bulbs. Typical 194's won't work like that. I cut the wire and McGuyver'd one in the base. Now it won't even come on. I noticed the watts aren't identical as the manual says but I thought this would work. I'm on my way to an auto parts store to see what they have. The bulbs I need are L1 PC194 2watt and PC 168 3 watt which actually has "replace entire ASM" stamped on it.....didn't know bulbs changed so much in 1992.
Old February 19th, 2016, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Typical cash grab......lets force the consumer to buy our parts.
There is guy on youtube who took the bases and soldered new bulbs in....
Old February 19th, 2016, 12:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, no kidding. The auto parts store was a little confused to but ended up having them. For about $2 a bulb I have too many other things on the go to start soldering but thanks for sharing!
Old February 19th, 2016, 4:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by summershandy
I have my cluster out from my dash removal on my '92 Vandura and thought I'd replace the bulbs. Ran down to my local Canadian Tire and purchased 194 bulbs. When I tried pulling out an old bulb the wires were wrapped around the outside of the base. Best described as those mini Christmas light bulbs. Typical 194's won't work like that. I cut the wire and McGuyver'd one in the base. Now it won't even come on. I noticed the watts aren't identical as the manual says but I thought this would work. I'm on my way to an auto parts store to see what they have. The bulbs I need are L1 PC194 2watt and PC 168 3 watt which actually has "replace entire ASM" stamped on it.....didn't know bulbs changed so much in 1992.
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and we specialize in auto electronic repairs and parts. We sell the replacement 194 bulbs that you are looking for. Here is the link to them on our site:

Tanin Auto Electronix Speedometer Repair, Odometer Correction, LED Customization, and DIY Parts

Let us know if you have any questions and we will be happy to assist you on this.

Thanks,

Search this Thread