Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Intermittent stalling and rough idle.....

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2016, 9:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Intermittent stalling and rough idle.....

Hi all.

I wanted to put it out there to see if any others have had this issue.

For only the forth time in 6 years my van has done this.
I drive somewhere, shut it off for a bit, get back in, and start it, and it idles a little rough, not much, but noticeable. Once I put it in gear it stalls. I can start it again no problem, but once in gear, it stalls. I even drove it with the two foot method around the block to keep the rpms up, and it runs and drives but not smoothly. Once the rpms come down, it stallls.
The fix is to shut it off, as if I'm taking out the key, and then restart and its all fixed.
Cannot reproduce the problem. I have not yet checked for any codes.

Thanks.
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Hi all.

I wanted to put it out there to see if any others have had this issue.

For only the forth time in 6 years my van has done this.
I drive somewhere, shut it off for a bit, get back in, and start it, and it idles a little rough, not much, but noticeable. Once I put it in gear it stalls. I can start it again no problem, but once in gear, it stalls. I even drove it with the two foot method around the block to keep the rpms up, and it runs and drives but not smoothly. Once the rpms come down, it stallls.
The fix is to shut it off, as if I'm taking out the key, and then restart and its all fixed.
Cannot reproduce the problem. I have not yet checked for any codes.

Thanks.
Hello canucklehead,

We’re sorry to hear that your van has been exhibiting this stalling concern over the years. Although, we are not able to provide any technical insight we would be more than happy to assist in bringing this to the attention of your dealership for a diagnosis. If interested, please send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information and preferred dealership.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 12th, 2016, 4:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks.
I was just at my local dealership to have the ignition lock cylinder replaced as the key stuck in the start position. While there I never thought to mention this as it had not happened for ages.
I don't want to pay the 165 bucks for a checkup, if I can find a handheld reader first I will try that.
Old February 16th, 2016, 8:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are the specs on your van? I might be able to look it up on Identifix. No guarantees, but worth a shot.
Old February 19th, 2016, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before i got my lovely 2014, i had an 04 which i got from an auction to see if an express van was right for me, it had the same thing going on. The gooseneck fitting that goes from the oil fill to the pass valve cover came loose, causing a vacuum leak.
You should first go to an auto parts store that has an "active scanner" and borrow it in the parking lot, record all the live readings.
Plus, get a vacuum gauge and a fuel pressure gauge.
Test all of your sensors within reach with a multimeter (cake)