Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Looking at a 1993 G20 advice on what it's worth?

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2017, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 1993 G20 advice on what it's worth?

I'm not sure if posts like this are allowed here but my wife and I are looking for a road trip/camping vehicle and a 1993 Chevy Van with Mark III conversion option popped up in our area. Owner says it was always garaged and it looks really clean from the photos. It has 91,000 original miles on it and the V-8 engine option. What is a reasonable price for this year and mileage? Also, anything I should look for when I go take a look in person and drive it? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Their asking price is almost triple the Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds.com private party value even at "Excellent" condition.

Last edited by jmaluso; March 26th, 2017 at 8:37 PM.
Old March 26th, 2017, 9:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

It is still a 24 year old truck! At 3 times KKB value, it will be hard for him to sell it. Why would you want to pay 3 times it's value? The most important thing to look at when buying a used vehicle are the maintenance records, if they are available. 91,000 miles is excellent, but if the oil and filters were rarely changed, that is a sign of trouble.
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Hello, thanks for the reply! I definitely wouldn't want to spend three times the blue book value. Thought I would come on here first to get a little more info and maybe a more accurate value so I don't offend the owner if I decide to make an offer. Some cars, like low mileage Mazda Miatas that I have owned, so sell for much more than blue book so I didn't think it would hurt to throw the question out to folks on here so I don't overpay.

Thanks again.
Old March 28th, 2017, 8:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Offer him KBB value and ask him to show you why it's worth 3 times that amount.. Crawl underneath. Look at the fuel filter. Does it look new? Look at the oil filter. Look at the air filter. What color is the tranny fluid? How badly worn is the upholstery on the driver's seat? How sloppy are the hinges on the driver's door? 91,000 city miles will be most likely if the arm rest on the driver's seat is worn, the door lines don't line up, the tranny fluid is brown and smells burnt, the fuel filter will be really crusty if it hasn't been changed in the last 2 years. While the motor is off grab the fan and push it back and forth. Is there slop in the water pump? Jack up the front. is their slop in the steering and front wheel bearings?
Old March 29th, 2017, 4:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Value really depends on the vans condition I personally would not concern myself with book value.

From what you are saying is the van is looks to be in exceptional condition and if that is the case "book value" does not help.
There are plenty of conversion vans in average condition you could get for book value or less but wisely you want a really nice van
and unfortunately you have to pay more unless the seller just wants to get rid of the van.

For what my opinion is worth (which is not much) I would do my best to negotiate the price down but if you like the van and the vans condition is excellent I would try to work something out with the seller and not pass on the van.

Again there are plenty of conversion vans for sale at low prices but do you want them? It seems this one has caught your eye so follow your instinct just be careful and I think you will be a happy owner of a nice clean conversion van.

Best of luck.

Last edited by solwav; April 3rd, 2017 at 3:35 PM.
Old March 30th, 2017, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks everyone. I am going to see if we can take a look in person this weekend.
Old March 30th, 2017, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 89 g20 conversion van 50,000 miles very nice condition I paid $3200 , I live in the north east and any vehicle with out rust is hard to fine, mileage and condition has a lot to do with the value. good luck