Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Lurching towards driver's side when pressing brake

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2014, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lurching towards driver's side when pressing brake

Hey everyone, I have a 1992 G20 van and I'm having a problem.. when I step on the brake the entire thing lurches towards the left (driver's side). I thought the problem would be the passenger's side caliper may be frozen but we replaced it last night and it's still doing it.

When I popped the caps to the brake cylinders it looked like the smaller one was dry meaning there must be a problem with the rear lines (am I right here?)

Would the problem I'm having with the rear cause it to lurch, or do I have two separate problems?

Thanks everyone.
Old January 9th, 2014, 8:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You mean the rear of the master cylinder is empty? If so, then yes you have fluid loss somewhere. You only have half your brakes working.

Check for a leak in the lines, and go from there. Might be in the tubing, might be a wheel cylinder.
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

you have a leak, that much you know... fix that first. But the pull is not in the leak, i am betting that you have a locked or damaged caliper. You cannot change just one. You must change both if you are to correct the issue, and if it is even in the calipers... It is a long and varied learning process, but i will also say it could also be in the lines to the front wheels. the rubber can be damaged internally. There are a LOT of things that can induce a pull like you are asking about. care to elaborate a bit so i can try and help? Long time brake tech here and i will be happy to try for you...

Blip...
Old February 11th, 2014, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem and found out it was a collapsed brake hose on that side. Once that was replaced, the lurching was cured on mine.
Old March 8th, 2014, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

you your line could look good on the outside but be bad on the inside. mine would pull hard to the right when you applied the brakes and then left when brakes were released. The left front hose had a blister inside that would first restrict the fluid from getting into the caliper then hold the fluid in when released. drove me crazy and cost a lot of money until I figured it out.
Old April 4th, 2016, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Newbie here, but I see that you mentioned being a brake tech previously. I have a 1992 Chevy Van G20. Have a leak in the Brake combo/monitoring valve. Can't find a replacement. Or up to now I haven't been able to find a replacement. Part is discontinued. Know any parts places I can check online for GM parts that might have it? I am waiting for response from a couple of places as to whether they might have the right part. One place can special order. Question I am having is getting the right part number. I have identified like 7 numbers that could be the right part number. Here's a diagram of the brake system but item 29, which is what I need isn't listed in the list of parts. 1992 Chevrolet G20 BRAKE SYSTEM

Any ideas and help would be appreciated. I will continue to search and wait for the parts places to respond to my inquires.