Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Mirror Switch

Old August 30th, 2015, 7:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mirror Switch Plastic Retainer Clip on Bezel snapped off

Does anyone have a step by step on accessing the underside of the mirror switch panel on the driver door of a 2010 3500 Express?

Someone else drove my van and I am guessing... thought the mirror control switch was a button and pushed down on it. Either popping off a clip or breaking something plastic that retains it?

I was able to get the switch back up and it still functions. I have it temporarily held up with tape. I am thinking the whole section of door panel behind the handle comes off? Or is the window switch/mirror switch panel able to be popped off?

My luck usually has me breaking off plastic tabs and doing more damage than I had to start with.

Thanks for any help!

2010 3500 Express Driver Door Mirror Switch popped down into the hole of the panel. Shown here pulled back up and held with tape. Switch still functions. Need to know how to properly get to the under side of the window/mirror switch panel.

Last edited by goyakpacking; September 1st, 2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old August 30th, 2015, 8:02 PM
CF Junior Member

I jumped in and found a way. The Window/Mirror Switch panel can be popped out without removing any of the door panel. There is a fixed clip toward the panel end facing the front of the vehicle...DON'T PRY THE FRONT END

There is a spring clip on the panel end facing the rear of the vehicle. Using a putty knife I was able to get the rear end of the panel part way up, then push in on the metal spring clip with a small flat screwdriver. This released the rear facing end of the panel. I gently pulled that end up to about a 45° angle and rocked and pulled the panel toward the read and the whole thing popped out.
Old August 30th, 2015, 8:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Found the problem. The plastic retaining clips that should secure the Mirror Switch are broke off on both sides. The plastic horizontal control panel that holds the 2 front window switches, and the mirror control switch will need replaced.

Talk about a cheap a-- part. As many of us say....An Engineered point of failure to insure high cost repairs keep flowing into the dealers. Any guesses on cost of part and cost of labor? Probably a diagnostic fee too?

Last edited by goyakpacking; August 30th, 2015 at 9:05 PM.
Old August 30th, 2015, 9:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Can anyone tell me where I can find this part? Numbers on the back side:
LH CAV#4
SC 7403
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:52 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't find that part, at least not in my color. A GM Dealer can get it for you but I think it'll be expensive. I should have gone to a wrecker by now, but I haven't. Maybe you'll have good luck there?

PS - Do you like that switch? It looks cheesy to me. It's the only part I need to install my power windows. I have everything else including the factory wiring harness for the body.
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just glue the switch into place, or make up a strap from underneath.
Old August 31st, 2015, 1:50 PM
CF Junior Member

I am with you canucklehead. But I like fixing things correctly to retain resale value. If I loose that I won't be buying another $50K vehicle. GM needs to be thinking down those lines or their market is going to dry up.

I just called the dealer for a laugh. I can't find just the little panel that broke. Can't even find one at a junkyard. Three dealers quoted me similar info. Part# 20944906 must be ordered. That includes the switches and a larger portion of the door panel. Who are the idiots running GM? They want me to buy from them again?

I think I want to leave it duct taped so I can remember to tell everyone this story.

$335.77 GM Part 2094906
$150.00 Dealer Labor quote
--------
$485.77 With Tax and shop fee's that is over $500

This would take 15 minutes at the most to replace. Can't even get the part. What a rip!

This is the broken part that is needed. Which apparently can not be ordered separately.

Last edited by goyakpacking; August 31st, 2015 at 2:09 PM.
Old August 31st, 2015, 2:00 PM
CF Junior Member

I need item #10 on this diagram. Does anyone have a source?
Old August 31st, 2015, 2:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Auto wrecker....
Old September 1st, 2015, 1:05 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I need one too, but I'd be happy to take yours, please don't glue it.

I'll keep my eye for two, but all I ever find is the wrong color. I can't believe the prices you were quoted. Mind you, I can believe it. The list price on this van was more than most nearly full load Silverado's... and it's just an empty shell.

I know I won't be asking GM for the part.

Actually, since I don't have power windows and I know now what the bottom looks like with one that does, plus I know how to remove it.. let me check mine. Maybe it's the same mold with simply no hole. That would save both of us..

EDIT: I'll try again in the morning, mines in there too tight.

Last edited by dberladyn; September 1st, 2015 at 1:09 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mirror Switch