Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Motor Oil Lines?

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2015, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Oil Lines?

5.7 Litre, has oil lines coming off the RH side of the engine, going to an oil cooler? Haven't had any trouble with them until now, I've developed oil leaks, after parking the van for a little over a year. Can anyone tell me more about this cooler? My mechanic has gone away, so I'm on my own.
Old September 11th, 2015, 6:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, depending on model van, you will have an oil cooler. Those lines are known for leaking. I believe they connect to the radiator.. the oil cooler is part of the radiator.
Old September 11th, 2015, 7:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only thing worse is the hydroboost lines. Those buggers leak like crazy, and new ones don't last long.....look for oil pooling on the bcm module under the master cylinder.
Are you using high mileage oil? The higher zddp may help with small leaks like that....
Old September 12th, 2015, 4:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a common problem? Do you know how long it takes to develop on a new van? Is there anything a person can do to prevent or prolong it? I despise leaking vehicles. It's been a very long time since I've had to deal with that.

PS I have an oil cooler and I believe an transmission cooler as well. I'd have to look, I remember something was different on this one from the last, but there are coolers there.
Old September 12th, 2015, 5:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have nothing to worry about db. It was a common thing on the 5.7 and 6.5, and only once they got older. (We do have oil and trans coolers.)
Old October 1st, 2015, 8:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a link saved somewhere showing a guy who got tired of replacing his oil lines and had a tractor/backhoe hydraulic hose shop make him up some new ones and then using union fittings etc to simply replace the Genuine GM Garbage oil lines. This seems to be another of those parts that were simply 'cheaped out' at the factory.

I've had to do mine twice... replaced leaking oil lines once with GenYuWhine GM parts (as part of the 3.5 engine rebuild) and then, six months later with parts that would last a tad longer... (Dorman).

Guess which oil lines have a lifetime warranty and which ones don't. Yeah... it ain't those factory parts.
Old October 1st, 2015, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if that would work for the hydroboost lines? Sure make routing them easier.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 3:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I wonder if that would work for the hydroboost lines? Sure make routing them easier.
Yes as those type of hoses are actual hydraulic fluid lines for tractors, back hoes etc... nearly indestructible and functional.

I can't find the link but if you remove both your lines AND the fittings at the radiator and engine (where OEM lines clip into) with you to a hydraulic hose shop they can set you up. (You'll need a union fitting and threaded fittings to use the hydraulic hose fittings.)

Or... just found this looking for the other one... Link to "cheap fix": Repair your leaky oil cooler lines!! - S-SeriesForum.com