Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Need advice, about to order new Express 2500

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2015, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice, about to order new Express 2500

Is there anything about your Express that you would change if you had to build one today? Here is a list of my current specs:

2015 Express 2500 LT Passenger Van
6.0L Vortec engine
Rainforest Green
G80 locking differential
Sliding side door
Power driver and passenger seats
Rear window defogger
Heated adjustable side mirrors
Rear vision camera

Am I forgetting anything obvious?
What is a "Damping patch on the oil pan (externally mounted)"? It's listed as one of the standard features on the 6.0 motor.
I plan to install my own hitch. Should I order the trailer wiring package or do it myself?
Thanks
Old February 15th, 2015, 2:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I was ordering these would be a must for me:

A31 - Window, Power Operated, All Doors
AU3 - Lock Control, Side Door Electric
DE7 - Mirror Outside, Left and Right, Remote Control, Electric Heated, Folding, Turn Signal Indicator, Color
DH6 - Mirror Inside, Front Vanity, Left and Right, Sunshade, Illuminated
UE1 - Communication System - Vehicle, GPS 1
US8 - Radio AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, CD, Auto tone, Clock, ETR, MP3, RDS
UJM - Tire Pressure Indicator Manual Learn
UY7 - Wiring Harness - Truck Trailer HD
VR4 - Trailer Hitch - Weight Distributing Platform
UFA - Display Outside Temperature
U80 - Display Compass
U05 - Horn Dual

N33 - Steering Column, Tilt Type
NP5 - Steering Wheel, Leather Wrapped
UD7 - Park Assist Rear
UPF - Wireless Interface - Short Range, Voice Rec
W1Y - Steering Wheel, Radio, Redundant Controls
K34 - Cruise Control, Automatic Electronic

KG3 - Generator 145 Amp
Old February 15th, 2015, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your quick response. Some of those options are included with the LT trim level but I will check them out. Any reason you would NOT get the G80 locking diff? Does the standard stability or traction control make it unnecessary?
Old February 15th, 2015, 5:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by barnbridge
Thank you for your quick response. Some of those options are included with the LT trim level but I will check them out. Any reason you would NOT get the G80 locking diff? Does the standard stability or traction control make it unnecessary?

I have the G80 - Locking Diff. and I would get it. I was just concentrating on Interior items, not power train or passenger/cargo preferences.

I made a mistake above. Replace AU3 with:

ATG - Lock Control, Entry - Remote Entry, Standard Range
BTV - Remote Start

I contemplated on ordering one but I was scared to end up waiting 9 months for it.
Old February 16th, 2015, 2:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you are ordering new, just get the complete trailer package with hitch. Why mess with install on a new van. And I will second the locking diff, esp if towing.
Old February 16th, 2015, 4:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. The towing package also includes the tranny cooler, and a couple other things....not just the hitch and wiring.
Deff get the g80. The regular limited slip has always sucked. I have to admit that that is the one thing that ford trucks have had over gm since day one. A limited slip that actually makes a diff in the snow.
I would even consider getting a 2014 model heavy half ton awd. They are still on the website. I can't believe that they are discontinuing the whole half ton line.....
Old February 17th, 2015, 8:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Actually I was looking on the GM accessory website. I would want the trailering package, but I wouldn't want the actual hitch. The Curt Class 5 hitch for the Express/Savana is far better built in my opinion.

I originally wanted an AWD with left hand side doors before buying mine. The poster above makes me second guess my purchase. In regards to the dropping of the 1/2 ton, whats the advantage over the 3/4? It can't be that much heavier, in a way a 1/2 ton is waste. I can see them dropping it. Just too bad they couldn't upgrade the AWD system and move the platform to 3/4 tons.

Actually, I suppose the desire for the 1/2 ton is the ride? Softer suspension, is that it?
Old February 17th, 2015, 4:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The half ton with the highest gvw avail was only a bit less that the 3/4 ton, unless you opted for the heaviest gvw 3/4 ton.
Basically the half ton has 3.42 gears instead of 3.73, has a lighter duty rear axle and hubs, 5 or 6 stud instead of 6 or 8, and a few lighter other things like springs etc. The curb weight was less, and you ended up getting a bit better fuel economy. As for hauling and trailering, there is not much diff there unless you are doing big time hauling.
I used a half tons for work for years, and never had the need for more, but 3/4 tons became the norm over the years I guess.
I think gm is just trying to consolidate the line up to cut more costs, since they ran the company into the ground with dumb decisions....now we get to reap the rewards.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:23 AM
CF Pro Member

My 3/4 ton has 3.42 gears. I was actually interested in buying a 1/2 ton originally, but one of the things that haunted me was a Silverado I bought 12 years ago. I wanted out of the payments and to sell it, for the life of me I couldn't find a buyer because it was only a 1/2 ton. This time GM kind of made my decision for me as 2015 didn't have the option. I originally wanted an AWD with a left door. I could have went 2014 for the AWD, but I didn't this van was a sudden decision after months of looking.