Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

overheat followed by problems

Old March 10th, 2014, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheat followed by problems

I have a 78 g30 van 350 5.7l. The templight obviously doesn't work because it overheated without warning Aside from the smell. A hose had a hole in it. I cut the hose stretched it and head to the parts store After It cooled down And i added water. About 10 minutes go by and oil light Comes on. I stop let it cool down and try again. This time it takes five minutes for oil light to come on. I make it to the part store and change oil sending unit and hose. Oil light stops coming on. Ten miles down the road it idles rough (Stalled once) in gear or not. Worried i blew a head gasket i check oil and coolant for signs of mixing and find none But i do have bubbles in resevour While running (I did loose alot of coolant so air pockets are likely). Check tale pipe for moisture and find none. Look in the radiator and it obiviously still has a high amount of coolant vs water. 50 miles prior i had dumped almost 2 gallons of water in the resevour. The resevour has n hint of green. Start it up after cool down it idles better but not like it did before overheat. I plan to do a compression test before throwing money at it but i have to hitch to the next town to get one. Any suggestions on how to further diagnose or what it might be?

Last edited by mardimacfly; March 10th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When the oil light came on, did you check the dipstick?
Check your plugs for fouling.
Check for condensation under the dist cap. Clean the posts.
Drain coolant and refill, and make sure you let it idle till the thermostat opens before putting the rad cap on. It lets the air out.
Let us know how you make out.
Old March 11th, 2014, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did check the dipstick when the oil light came on and i was between ad and full so i did nothing but wait.
I check distributor for moisture and found a tiny bit of green moisture. The air filter box however had a puddle of coolant. The spark plugs had normal looking wear. The bubbles stopped. Also i never mentioned, it at no point had exceleration issues. it seems to be Running same as it did before overheat Eccept Now it spudders in drive and reverse. I'm beginning to think it never overheated But just blew coolant all over the engine. Although i still want to get new temp sending unit. My only issue is that The parts store is 30 miles away and it may overheat and i would not know. shes my baby and my home and I would never want to hurt her.

Last edited by mardimacfly; March 11th, 2014 at 6:40 PM.