Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Parking Brake Automatic Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2014, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Automatic Adjustment?

I disassembled and properly rebuilt the rear parking brake pad assembly on my 2008 Express Van, however the pedal still won't pull enough cable to make it work. I read that these may have an automatic adjustment mechanism at the pedal, but any instructions I found don't seem to apply (something about inserting a pin and pressing the pedal). The pedal on my van does look pretty complex, but I can't seem to get it to ratchet and adjust. At this point I've got two theories, but I wondered if anyone else has experience and can help:
1. Cable stretch: I read that some Silverado owners reported cables that were longer than replacements. While this may be an issue, I'd have to get significantly shorter cables for the amount of extra slack I've got.
2. Broken automatic adjuster pedal: If I go this route, it looks like a $120 part plus installation. It just seems like a gamble since my pedal seems to work fine, but I just can't verify how the automatic adjustment works. (FYI: For anyone else doing this job, the part number I'm coming up with for my 2008 3,500 is 15226266)