Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Passenger floor water leak - '96 express

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2011, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger floor water leak - '96 express

I'm new to this forum having recently purchased a '96 express 5.7L conversion van. It's in great shape aside from a soaked passenger carpet I noticed 2 days after buying it. I've pulled out the front carpet, removed the lower trim, engine cover, black wiper motor covers at the bottom of teh windshield, and have gotten under the van, but can't figure out how to fix this. I know the water is running into one of the air vent housings behind the AC housing, but I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a drain that's clogged up.

It's really tough to see what's going on. I know it's coming in through the passenger side but it looks like it may be behind the air conditioner housing there. Anyhow, before taking apart the majority of the passenger side of my van, I was hoping someone else had experience with this and could tell what to look for or where a drain might be located. Thanks for any feedback!! - Matt
Old November 2nd, 2011, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Forgot to mention that this is definitely a water leak (only happens during rain) and definitely not coolant or any other fluid. Thanks.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 3:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You using the a/c?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

Not now that's it cold but it does work and I don't really want to mess with it if I don't have to.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 8:10 AM
CF Monarch

Take a bucket of water, and with door, and window closed, and doose it. then check for a leak. Probably a door seal.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks. Tried the bucket thing and its definitely coming in under the front passenger dash. I just don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know if there's supposed to be a drain under the bottom passenger window cover (black plastic thing)? That's what I'm hoping is just clogged up or something. Thanks!
Old November 3rd, 2011, 8:50 PM
CF Monarch

Nope, you will have to replace the driver side door seal. That should be easy. Actually I'd say windshield. Have it reset with new gasket
Old November 3rd, 2011, 8:53 PM
CF Monarch

Have a glass mechanic remove, and replace your windshield.
Old November 18th, 2011, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Leak Fixed. For anyone in the future that runs into this issue, here's what I found:

After removing the wiper arms and the plastic cowls at the bottom of the windshield, look to the left under the passenger side windshield and there's a rectangular hole parallel to the ground that leads to a plastic vent meant to drain away any water that gets behind the cowl.

At the bottom of the plastic vent beneath the coolant tank (you'll have to move the tank), there's a rubber outlet door that I can assume is meant to keep air from around the engine being sucked into the air conditioning. This drain/vent was completely clogged with dirt and leaves.

I took a garden hose with forceful pressure, stuck it in the rectangular hole and forced all the dirt and leaves out. If this vent is clogged, water will back up into the air intake for the AC and will run by your blower, through the evaporator (or is it condenser) and onto your passenger floor. I'm lucky my blower and evaporator weren't rusted out.

Anyhow - I hope this helps someone in the future. I'm going to check this drain at least once a year so I don't have this problem again. - Matt
The following users liked this post:
Andiy (January 20th, 2021)
Old May 21st, 2016, 1:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default water leaking from behind dash during heavy or long term rain

I'm glad someone did the leg work on this.

Can you or someone clarify some points.
- I can not think of another coolant tank but you do mean the radiator coolant right?
- The rectangular hole you forced water thru - is it the one under the cowl or the one under the coolant tank?
- Does the coolant tank have to be removed to access the rubber outlet door to remove dirt or would the forced water from above, if it is indeed from above, not blow it out? I suspect there would be some flooding in the passenger cabin until the blockage is flushed out but would be hoping the overflow is not as direct a route as the "drain" is supposed to be.

Your repose greatly appreciated ...
... I have the habit of parking and driving outside.

Quick Reply: Passenger floor water leak - '96 express