Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Passenger side door holding water after heavy rain

Old May 28th, 2014, 8:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Passenger side door holding water after heavy rain

I have notice on a few occasions over the last year that the side door is holding water after there has been a heavy rain. I have had the van for 3 years.

I first noticed this because I could hear sloshing when I drove out of my driveway. I opened the side door because that was where the sound seemed to come from and was surprised by the deluge coming out the bottom of the door.

It takes a good part of a minute for the water to stop running and just drip. This has never happened with the driver's side door and since I am usually alone do not typically use the passenger side door.

The rain events have been notably extreme and I have not noticed the door dropping water after "normal" rain showers.

Have you had this experience and tracked down what is happening?
Old May 28th, 2014, 8:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the drain hole's in the door are getting plugged up . check the hole's from the bottom ,you might have to pull the door panel to clean the inside of the door out .
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The weatherstrip along the window must be faulty. No way that much water should get inside the door itself. Check the fit along the glass while the window is up. It may need replacing. I think there is also something you can apply to the strip but I am not sure.
Old July 5th, 2014, 10:34 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default door holding water

I finally got down on my back and looked. Nothing like a little observation.

You are both right.

I thought the drain holes in the door were clear since they drained so well when the door was opened. The water was coming out of the mounting holes of the bottom of door weather strip that opened when the door was opened.

The actual drain holes are in the front and back corners of the door.

This was easy to check since there is a gap on the front end of the window scraper to pour water down. Any time water hits the glass it will runs down into the door and carries debris with it ... blocking the drain holes over time.

SO ...
any tips on removing the scrapper and refitting it?
Old July 6th, 2014, 3:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is virtually impossible to keep all the water out. They are made to leak and run out the bottom of the doors. You can replace that window sweep that is against the window, but it probably won't do a lot of good.

It just snaps in, if you roll down your window you can probably get at the inside of the piece and where it snaps in to the door. Just a warning that you most likely will break the tabs when you remove it. I had to replace mine once since it was melted (van was a salvage when I bough it) and that piece broke when I tried to remove it. I didn't care since I replaced it anyway.
Old March 25th, 2021, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Trailblazer

Just having my 2021 Trailblazer for 1week, I've noticed that after 2 rain events, all 4 doors leak. Is this by design? What if I don't open all the doors and the water sits? I'm sure it's potentially a rust problem. Any advice? Thanks!
Old March 25th, 2021, 9:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm not exactly sure which forum you need, but this one is for full sized vans. Blazer forum maybe off the forum tab up top? In answer to your question, your vehicle should go into the body shop so they can tweak the doors or do whatever corrects your issue. The very last thing you need is a moldy car.