Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2019, 10:14 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow

I moved the amps. I also took out the temporary amps and moved in the large single channel amps. I have six channels drive six speakers. mounted in the front doors. Left / Right Front Audio only. Without upgrading, without tweaking other than just a quick guess on initial setup, the truck sounds awesome. I cannot imagine how it would sound with some of the upgrades I missed out on buying. I missed some screaming deals on higher model speakers and more amplifiers. Anyways, everything takes me so long to do and I only really only accomplish things half-assed, I am really slow these days for some reason, but I re-installed it all without the DSP to save time. The DSP in theory should tweak the sound so much more, but it also really complicates everything and I never fully had it tweaked prior for various reasons. Anyways, with a stereo, amps and speakers roughly configured - it sounds great!

I don't think I really need subwoofers as my 6.5" drivers are pounding pretty good with so much power behind them. If was healthier, if was younger perhaps, I would be out there right now, tweaking, tweaking, tweaking. I cannot believe how good it sounds. You "feel" the music without noticeable distortion. At least without distortion that I notice.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 1:29 PM
CF Pro Member

I guess the only thing the DSP really does for me is.. :
  • it allows tuning via software, which is a pain in the **** with this one as require Windows, meaning I have to pull out my laptop
  • it allow me to adjust timings for each speaker, I cannot do that without a DSP
  • it does allow me to add channels that I do not have, like a center speaker
  • it complicates the hell out of everything and adds a second equalizer
I am really not that great at fine tuning. I don't have the ears. Well, I do - I just never learned. I've just been monkeying with the settings for the last few hours. Sounds pretty good, but I wish I had the contact information of the guy who sold me two speakers. He was all into this system and wanted to help me adjust everything. It was his hobby he loved it. I bet he would know how to tweak it all. It still really good, but now that I have been adjusting and playing with, it's not quite as impressive as it seemed last night. Maybe I had the settings just perfect or maybe my ears are adjusting. It's pretty good, it's just... not blow your socks off like $80,000 car show set up.

According the manuals my system as is draws 150 Amps of power. I still want to add an amp for at least one Subwoofer, Rear Speakers and possibly a center Speaker. There is a matching Amp that would open up the channels to do all that for sale right now. Matches my system. But he was $700 for it. It's brand new. I am not paying that. Maybe $200-300. If I wait long enough someone will post one. The other night there, almost the same amp, $150. That was a steal. There's actually been really good stuff that I cannot find cheaper than $600 for sale lately at prices of between $100 and $200. Patience... is virtue. It just prevents you from ever finishing anything.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 6:58 PM
CF Pro Member

Naturally, I need to make some changes. The seats sliding all the way back just catch on the now extreme raised floor. No big deal, I'll just move the whole assembly back. And I definitely have to wire the speakers differently, or get another amp. My 6.5" speakers sound great, but they are missing out on most of their spectrum. The large amps I have them connected to are meant for sub-woofers. I wish I spend the money the other day.
Old June 25th, 2019, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I guess the only thing the DSP really does for me is.. :
  • it allows tuning via software, which is a pain in the **** with this one as require Windows, meaning I have to pull out my laptop
  • it allow me to adjust timings for each speaker, I cannot do that without a DSP
  • it does allow me to add channels that I do not have, like a center speaker
  • it complicates the hell out of everything and adds a second equalizer
I am really not that great at fine tuning. I don't have the ears. Well, I do - I just never learned. I've just been monkeying with the settings for the last few hours. Sounds pretty good, but I wish I had the contact information of the guy who sold me two speakers. He was all into this system and wanted to help me adjust everything. It was his hobby he loved it. I bet he would know how to tweak it all. It still really good, but now that I have been adjusting and playing with, it's not quite as impressive as it seemed last night. Maybe I had the settings just perfect or maybe my ears are adjusting. It's pretty good, it's just... not blow your socks off like $80,000 car show set up.

According the manuals my system as is draws 150 Amps of power. I still want to add an amp for at least one Subwoofer, Rear Speakers and possibly a center Speaker. There is a matching Amp that would open up the channels to do all that for sale right now. Matches my system. But he was $700 for it. It's brand new. I am not paying that. Maybe $200-300. If I wait long enough someone will post one. The other night there, almost the same amp, $150. That was a steal. There's actually been really good stuff that I cannot find cheaper than $600 for sale lately at prices of between $100 and $200. Patience... is virtue. It just prevents you from ever finishing anything.
May I ask, how did you get your door panels to not vibrate? Mine really move when I turn it up
Old June 25th, 2019, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I think he spray foamed his. You just need to add some mass. Stick some roofing sealer to it.