Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Power stays on after door opening

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2011, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power stays on after door opening

I have a 2004 Express 1500 AWD cargo van that has just recently started having a problem with the power to the accessories staying on after the door has been opened. I can get the accessories to turn off by repeatedly cycling the lock switch ( It has pwr locks and wdws). It drained the battery the other day, as my wife used the truck and didn't realize the accessories were still on. I just replaced the battery as it was getting to the end of it's service life not due to this problem. Is there a switch inside the door that acts as a door switch? There is nothing on the door jamb like the old school pin switches. Something tells the body computer that the door is open, thus cancelling the retained power. Thought I'd ask before tearing apart my daily driver. Thanks, Kevin.
Old October 13th, 2011, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

I researched the problem, ordered a new latch switch, and replaced the switch. That was a PITA! But the problem persists. I can get the raido and accessories to turn off if I play with the door handle, or cycle the lock switch. But it is very erratic. Next suggestion? The passanger side works like it should so I think I can eliminate the body computer. Maybe too much play in the actual latch assembly? Wiring looks good, no evidence of anyone ever having the door apart before. Frustrating!
Old September 22nd, 2013, 7:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get this figured out? My 06 3500 is having the same problem. Thanks

Brew
Old September 23rd, 2013, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tsbrewers
Did you ever get this figured out? My 06 3500 is having the same problem. Thanks

Brew
Yes I did figure it out. Even though I replaced the switch, it is only 1/2 the problem. The switch is activated by a finger that gets moved by the door strike. The end of the finger wears and it does not have enough travel. If it is loose enough it will kick the switch by momentum. Mine is pretty tight. I constantly spray it with WD-40 and it works OK for awhile. When it acts up, I just take my key and push up on the finger ( inside the latch at the top ) and that shuts off the power. I need to replace the entire latch. If you are going to dig into this order new door retainer pins. All of mine broke wen I took the door panel off.
Old September 24th, 2013, 6:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Brew