Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Power steering in 06 Express 3500

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2016, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering in 06 Express 3500

I changed the pump last fall in this van with a NAPA reman. Life was good until recently when the belt started squealing. Clean pulleys,new belt and tensioner but it still squeals. NAPA guy says hes never had one go bad. Hes a straight shooter so I believe him.

Any other "hidden info I havent been able to find? Years ago I worked on a Toyota van that has a reservoir filter that plugged up easily causing problems.

Making sure I dont do this crappy job again with the same results.

-Pete
Old March 5th, 2016, 9:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

when the engine is running and squeaking, spray the belt with brake cleaner. if the noise goes away for a few seconds...the new belt is nfg. A smear of gm engine sealant rtv across the belt ribs will also quiet a squeaking belt for a 2 week period. Its a easy diagnostic method to determine if its a belt. Aftermarket belts are junk. I spend the extra money for gm belts.

check the a/c belt and tensioner also as the tensioners go bad.

did you spin all the pulleys by hand when the belt was off?

Last edited by tech2; March 5th, 2016 at 9:44 AM.
Old March 7th, 2016, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
did you spin all the pulleys by hand when the belt was off?
Of course. That was step one. They all spun easily.

Just because it spins, doesnt mean its not the problem. I bit the bullet and started removing the nearly new reman PS pump. When I put the puller on, THEN I found the pulley had a lot of play. Further investigation led me to find that even NAPA using those crappy rebuilders Dorman. Nobody had a new pump so I'm installing another rebuild. Hopefully this one might last more than a few months.

-Pete