Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2011, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problem

Hi,

I've been trying to get to the bottom of my power steering problem and I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me. Basically, my power steering is doing half the job when I'm turning (intermitent). I will explain the first symtoms and everything i did so far. My Chevy Express 4.8 liter has 65k and it does not have a brake booster. I was told it has a different system using the power steering pump as a vacuum for the braking system.

At around 50k a whisteling noise developed which I thought was probably from my latter on top of the van. Since than I've noticed that my front tires were wearing unevenly and recently a friend told me that I may have a front end play on the passenger side. I decided to take my car to the dealer since I needed a transmission flush anyway and I asked them to look into the power steering issue. They quoted me $3500: Leaking steering gearbox, bad inner tie rods, bad pitman and idler arm, rear discs and brakes needed, 4 Bridgestone V-Steel tires and an alignment. I told them to just do the flush and I will take care of the rest.

So I replaced the steering gear which was starting to leak, put new pitman arm, idler arm, inner and outer tie rods as the rubber boots were cracked on almost all of them and was left with needing tires and an alignment. I flushed the systems but noticed that very little fluid was coming out of the return hose in the reservoir and I had to rev up the engine and turn the wheel from side to side in order to flush it (BTW the fluid was pretty dark in color and smelled burned). while I was bleedingthe system, the power steering felt better but still not right. When I dropped the car off the jacks the problem was still there: intermitent power steering.

So then I thought it was my power steering pump since I had such a hard time flushing the system. I replaced that too with a remanufactured one and I'm still having the same problem. It's been a very frustrating couple of days. I was not expecting this at 65K. I still need the alignment and at least two new front tires. Could this be the cause? Does anyone else have any thoughts?

I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by emilclintoc; May 30th, 2011 at 6:50 PM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 8:48 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by emilclintoc
Hi,

I've been trying to get to the bottom of my power steering problem and I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me. Basically, my power steering is doing half the job when I'm turning (intermitent). I will explain the first symtoms and everything i did so far. My Chevy Express 4.8 liter has 65k and it does not have a brake booster. I was told it has a different system using the power steering pump as a vacuum for the braking system.

At around 50k a whisteling noise developed which I thought was probably from my latter on top of the van. Since than I've noticed that my front tires were wearing unevenly and recently a friend told me that I may have a front end play on the passenger side. I decided to take my car to the dealer since I needed a transmission flush anyway and I asked them to look into the power steering issue. They quoted me $3500: Leaking steering gearbox, bad inner tie rods, bad pitman and idler arm, rear discs and brakes needed, 4 Bridgestone V-Steel tires and an alignment. I told them to just do the flush and I will take care of the rest.

So I replaced the steering gear which was starting to leak, put new pitman arm, idler arm, inner and outer tie rods as the rubber boots were cracked on almost all of them and was left with needing tires and an alignment. I flushed the systems but noticed that very little fluid was coming out of the return hose in the reservoir and I had to rev up the engine and turn the wheel from side to side in order to flush it (BTW the fluid was pretty dark in color and smelled burned). while I was bleedingthe system, the power steering felt better but still not right. When I dropped the car off the jacks the problem was still there: intermitent power steering.

So then I thought it was my power steering pump since I had such a hard time flushing the system. I replaced that too with a remanufactured one and I'm still having the same problem. It's been a very frustrating couple of days. I was not expecting this at 65K. I still need the alignment and at least two new front tires. Could this be the cause? Does anyone else have any thoughts?

I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks in advance.
emilclintoc,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Express Van. Since you have replaced many parts on your vehicle, have you spoken with the dealership to confirm if there is another issue that could be making your steering not work properly?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Emil I found this thread on google, I have a savana with the exact same issue right now. I've put several thousand dollars into fixing this without success. Did you ever end up fixing this?

I've got a 2006 with under 70k on it. Duramax diesel. Problem just started one day after it was worked on for back brakes and front shocks.