Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Rear Door Limiting Strap

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2015, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Door Limiting Strap

A little new to the Chevy thing, but got an Express Van for work. So far the van has been good, however I am a little surprised to not find people having issue with the rear doors swinging all over the place.
I have googled everything from Door Check, to Limiter strap and so on. Im surprised that there is nothing I can find aftermarket to stop these doors. The current spring setup is sort of weak on and my doors have the tendency to swing out into everything. Im afraid they are going to smack a customers car one of these days...

Anyway I did a search here, but was wondering if anyone has come up with solutions or know of a kit of some kind.

Thanks
Old February 23rd, 2015, 8:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a little plastic wheel that keeps the door swing silent, and it rolls along the curved bar for the two positions that the doors are supposed to stay open at. 90 degrees, and full open. If someone put some lube on that wheel , then the doors swing faster and miss the stop points and swing back closed. I found that out the hard way, now my door always wants to close back onto me as I am reaching in....grrr.
The spring could be worn as well I guess. Have you checked to see if any parts are worn or broken?
I have not found any need for a strap though.
Old February 24th, 2015, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has all the parts there as well, and it's barely even broken in. In fact all the paint is still actually on the roller and the arm. For my job I work out of the back of my van so I open the door straight out. And several times a day just with the wind they will fly all the way out.

The passenger-side actually swung open so hard the other day that the stop part of the hinge which looks to be made out of cast metal actually snapped off. Now the door actually hits against the vehicle when it swings all the way open.

Friend of mine made some limiting straps with nylon webbing, I guessing that's my only option.

I'm just used to my old sprinter van that the doors locked open straight out, and then you had to manually detach for them to swing back to the vehicle. I just wish that the indent part of the arm where the roller hits was a little deeper so that it wasn't so easy to go all the way out.