Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Rear view camera choice

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2014, 11:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view camera choice

Anybody have a rear view camera on their Express van that can see a trailer hitch for towing as well as the view behind on the road?
Since the license plate is mounted off center, on the right side cargo door, would it view the trailer hitch?
But a license plate mount would only view the front of my boat, I'd like to be able to see traffic behind me when towing the boat.
Is there one model that can do both? Even if I have to manually tilt it down to hook up, then tilt it back up for driving.
Old October 4th, 2014, 1:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use my rear view mirrors......just sayin....lol
Old October 4th, 2014, 9:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have one mounted where the 3rd brake light is

the view is good.
but i have it adjusted to see how close i am to anything behind me.
i can probably see about 10ft behind me

but of course i can tilt it to see even further
Old October 7th, 2014, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

I was looking at replacement third brake lights with the built-in camera on eBay, but the prices vary wildly. Looks like $99 is the cheapest ones direct from China, then it goes up from there.
Old October 7th, 2014, 10:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Default 3rd brake light camera

Can that camera view the trailer hitch?
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

No idea about the trailer hitch (this is something I was also wondering). I did see an Explorer conversion listed on eBay today that had a custom license plate trim piece with the camera molded into the left side of the plastic, just under the handle.
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Default view

I don't know if the 3rd brake light mount can see the trailer hitch.
The problem with the license plate mount is that the license plate is on the right side rear door; I don't know if it can see the trailer hitch.
The second problem with a license plate mount is that it wouldn't help me see when backing my boat into it's parking space. (A real nuisance at night.)
Old March 3rd, 2016, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default backup third brake light camera works

backup third brake light camera especially for Chevrolet Express Van/ GMC Savana Van. the cameras just built into third brake light ,just replacement to complete installation ,but the price is more expensive than conventional backup cameras. but for trailer hitch , it may not work well.if you want use a backup camera for both parking and trailer hitch ,there is a extended roof rear view cameras that can be working well for trailer hitch, but this camera need to drill hole on the roof to finish installation. the camera is from this vendor called vardsafe :
Brake Light Cameras Archives - Vardsafe
Old March 3rd, 2016, 6:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Default follow up

I tried a license plate frame camera but it didn't view the hitch. Bought a iBall. Camera has a strong magnetic base. Screen is on a flexible mount for the cigarette lighter. Works great in the parking lot, put the camera on the boat to back up when parking. Not suitable while driving.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:29 PM
CF Junior Member

I purchased a WIFI unit that lasted less than 7 days.

Attached the rear camera and its WIFI to the license plate light location. The camera was then located just between the letters/numbers on the plate. Was powered up when the main rear lights were on so I could see when not in reverse. Great view could see everything behind me.

Cut the wires to the drivers side lighterand hard wired the front wifi and monitor. The monitor has an on/off button but the WIFI did not, the instructions said you could leave the system on all the time. The WIFI up front burned, the monitor was ok.

Lesson is beware, of the power source if you get a WIFI system, they are not built as well as a wifi security camera that runs 24x7 for years.

Last edited by Salto_jorge; March 3rd, 2016 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear view camera choice