Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Recommended tires for 1994 Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2014, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended tires for 1994 Conversion?

Hi there, I'm brand new here! Finally bit the bullet and bought a 1994 G20 (I think? How can you tell whether it's a 10, 20, or 30? I do know it's 350 HP, but it didn't come with an owner's manual) conversion van, with low original miles - only 62,000! I've been wanting a conversion van for many years - practically grew up in one in the 80s, and my husband and I had our first child 6 years ago, so the desire has been building in me since then. So great for family road trips!

Anyway, I had it checked out, and it's in pretty great shape, other than the tires. I was just wondering if you all have any suggestions for the best tires to get for this type of van? Brand, size, etc.

Also, is there anything in particular to watch out for on maintenance? I just had the power steering and transmission fluids flushed and replaced...any other areas that I should look at closely? Brakes looked good, according to the Chevy dealership I took it to for the inspection...

Thanks for any help! Can't wait to take it on our first road trip this summer!!
Old June 15th, 2014, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

BF Goodrich Commercial TA All Season
My '03 2500 LD uses 245/75R16
I usually get about 70,000 miles out of them.
Be sure to get a real front end alignment.

I'd flush the brake fluid.
I'd replace the fuel filter.
I'd put a Gatorback s-belt on it.

Oil changed?
Air filter?
Age of battery?
Old June 15th, 2014, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the door sticker. It will say what chassis it is, what gross vehicle weight is, and what tire size and psi to run.
That era likely 225 75 15, or 235 75 15.
It will also mention if it takes passenger tires or light truck tires.
I always recommend LT tires over Passenger tires, but that is your call...( if it calls for P that is...) If its a 3/4 ton, then I have LT Michelin LTX and they are great.
Old June 16th, 2014, 3:18 PM
CF Junior Member

get the light truck tires ,, will ride a bIt rougher BUT you will feel safer when you got the family in the van loaded up and a trailer behind it going out for that summer vacation trip!!
Old June 16th, 2014, 7:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, definetly check out the door jamb stickers. Its very important to have the correct load range tire.

If the load range of the tires are D chances are its a G20. G30 usually gets an E load range.
Old June 17th, 2014, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks a bunch for all the help! The van's at the radio shop right now getting new electronics (it came with a VCR and a cassette player!), so I will check the door sticker as soon as we get it back.

I did flush the brake and transmission fluids already, as well as the power steering fluid, but they said the oil looked alright upon inspection. However, I am going to get the oil changed and the fuel filter done before we take off on our long trip.

I've also noticed a click when pressing the brake pedal sometimes - more info here: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/gen...-speeds-66033/ - Any idea what it could be? They didn't drive the car when they inspected it, so no info from the dealership on it. I guess I will ask when I get the oil changed.

They also tested the battery and said it looked fine. Have any of you added an option to hook up to shore power to your vans? I asked the radio guys about it, but they didn't know where to send me for that sort of thing. Just wondering what kind of money we'd be looking at if we wanted to add that option (for movie-watching and music-listening while car camping!).

I also upgraded to AAA Premier just in case - ha! Can't wait!!
Old June 17th, 2014, 9:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Default shore power

are you trying to run 110 appliances or keep van's battery charged.

for battery a simple battery charger would be good to keep batteries charged.

for 110 appliances if not looking to fully customize why not a orange outdoor extension cord and a power strip
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by spaceblonde
are you trying to run 110 appliances or keep van's battery charged.

for battery a simple battery charger would be good to keep batteries charged.

for 110 appliances if not looking to fully customize why not a orange outdoor extension cord and a power strip
Not appliances, just something to run the van's power when the engine is not running so that the battery doesn't die. Which battery charger would you suggest? And is that bad for the battery??
Old June 18th, 2014, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by WaterBoyz
Be sure to get a real front end alignment.
What is a "real" front end alignment (as opposed to a "fake" one?) - where's the best place for that; would someplace like Firestone do one, or do you suggest the dealership?
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:26 PM
CF Junior Member

personally I would get a trickle charger and not use it all the time

Quick Reply: Recommended tires for 1994 Conversion?