Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Remote starter puzzler

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2015, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote starter puzzler

Hi guys,
Had had an aftermarket remote started installed in my 2009 Express van.
Have had it in since I bought it.
Seems when we had a cold snap here in Dec,. and I tried the remote start all's would happen is the courtesy lights would flash and not start.
Just the clicking sound.
I go out and tried the remote again and same thing,then I tried the key same thing.
I thought the battery was gone,so I boosted it and away she went.
Also the battery indicator was up where she should be.
Then I shut it off and used the remote again,same thing just that clicking sound.
This time I boosted it ,no problem,then shut it off after it was warmed up,same thing with remote(clicking sound)WT.
Now I boost it again no problem and then I shut it off only now I use the key to start it and has been no problem using the key unless I use the remote first, then the key won't start it unless I boost it.
Now to me -20 isn't cold up here -30 -40 is a bit snappy.
So it's -19 now and I knew not to use the remote,I just used the key,well now it does the clicking the same as the remote did and the battery has lots of juice.
Seems when it gets a little cool that she acts up,it's almost as if the remote starter interferes somehow electrically especially when its cool out.
Before it was the remote wouldn't engage the starter and I'd have to boost it and no problem but after I had enguaged the remote I couldn't use the key unless I boosted it first.
I have used the key to start it with no troubles until today where it's -19.
I do have it plugged in,so I''ll see if she starts tomorrow.
Curious if any of you guys have heard of this type of problem,THX.
Old February 1st, 2015, 6:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't mean to be rude, but I think both your writing skills and my reading comprehension are low. Anyways, it seems to me that it has nothing to do with your remote start, more to do with the battery not being able to supply the current in that cold weather. Perhaps you need a better battery before anything, and while you are at it make sure all the connections are tight, clean and solid.
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you have load tested your battery, you have no idea it has lots of juice. The voltmeter is not an indicator that your battery is fully ok.
Get the battery checked, and as stated above go over your connections.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 7:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I don't mean to be rude, but I think both your writing skills and my reading comprehension are low.
Nice! How could anyone take offence to that? I hope my grammar is correct when I say; you sir, are a donkey. No offence...sound about right?

Last edited by tech2; February 2nd, 2015 at 7:07 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canucklehead and Tech2,
Thanks,I talked to a friend who use to work for GM and figured it was the battery after described the problem.
So I changed the battery and showtime,plus the remote starter works also.
To the first poster seems like your user name is a reflection of yourself which I'm sure only you know what it means.
To others I'm sure it looks like grade two spelling.
Clean up your own back yard(if you even have one)before trying to take shots at other people here.
I participate in a lot of forums and once in awhile scum does rise to the surface.
Probably raining where ever you are.
Have a real nice day.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 3:50 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was tired, much like I am tonight as I should have been sound asleep hours ago. With that being the case, the fact that you do not write in coherent paragraphs, but rather simple lines of individual sentences made your situation hard for me to decypher. Hence the reasons for slagging both you and myself.

My username is a simple identifier just about guaranteed not to be taken. If I explained it to you, you would understand it actually makes a lot of sense. Given the light in the room, that's not going to happen.

Glad to know I was right in solving your problem. Best of luck to you down the road.