Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Startup issues

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2007, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Startup issues

recently obtained an '02 1500 (220K miles)series that intermittently will not fire up. Does seem to occur more in wet/cold conditions. Basic electronics checked/replaced. My guess is fuel delivery. But I am also curious how many (if any) sensors these may have. Any replies appreciated!
Old October 30th, 2007, 3:18 PM
Professional Mechanic

Default RE: Startup issues

What happens when it wont start? Does the engine turn over when trying to start? If it's the pump then you should be able to give the gas tank a few wacks under where the pump is mounted (your hitting the gas tank itself) and get it to start for at least a few more starts.
I know these trucks like to go through fuel pumps. Thereare also some issues with the electrical harness on the top of the pump corroding there is also a harness to check at the evap canaster and the ECM.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Finally got to see this 1st hand. On a chilly/dewey morning, it just would not fire up. Turns over just fine. Waited until it went up a few degress and fired right up. I'm leaning against fuel delivery now. But will check connects on top of tank. Any other ideas welcome. Thanks!
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Professional Mechanic

Have you tried heat in the gastank? Sounds a little like moisture or a somewhat clogged fuel filter (cheaper than afuel pump)or a combination of the two.
Old November 10th, 2007, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem, 2000 2500 series conversion.

hard to start in cold, wet conditions, ended up the problem was the fuel pump. installed new one, running great....

Old November 10th, 2007, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Well, guess a filter can't hurt! If the pump is going, can you do just the pump or does the sending unit have to be bought? Thanks!!
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Professional Mechanic

I think they sell it as one expensive part ($350 or so).
When the truck is not starting do you hear the buzzing of the fuel pump in pre ignition? If you don't hear the buzzing try giving the gas tank just below the fuel pump agood wack or two. Put the vehicle back into pre ignition and listen for the buzzing of the fuel pump and try to start. Try this a couple of times before giving up. Ifhitting it makes the vehicle startthen you (most likely) have a bad fuel pump or connection.

ORIGINAL: jfonod

Well, guess a filter can't hurt! If the pump is going, can you do just the pump or does the sending unit have to be bought? Thanks!!
Old November 15th, 2007, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

I will give this all a try and get back. According to the previous owner, the fuel pump was replaced. But we'll see. Thanks!!
Old November 17th, 2007, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

May have had accidental breakthrough. Took off dog house to check for fuel delivery or spark. When I started it (decided to start today), there is a big arc coming from the coil to the nearest metal. I'm betting that moisture buildups won't letpower thru to the distributor. So I guess the coils gotta go anyway, we'll see what happens.