Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

reverse light switch

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2015, 8:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reverse light switch

Just like it says. My shift lever on my 92 vandura was sloppy so I changed a broken lever spring. It's much better but I can still wiggle the lever and make the reverse lights come off and on. I'd like to nail this down but having trouble figuring out where the light switch is located. All I see from the column is a direct cable to the transmission. Would this be in the column itself? I'd like to know if this can be adjusted before I start ripping the column apart. This is a sweet little project I just picked up for the winter. It easily passed a road safety. Had 2 owners and sat for 10 years. The couple are too old to drive anymore. Had to get it!
Attached Thumbnails reverse light switch-img_5444.jpg  
Old November 25th, 2015, 9:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure a nice find.
I think its in the column. The tranny has the park neutral safety switch, but I think the reverse light is located in the column....
Old November 26th, 2015, 8:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks. I was thinking the same. I remember years ago inside another column and seeing where a connection was being made switch wise. The neutral switch even has me perplexed even though it works fine. At the tranny it is merely a connection. I see no switches anywhere along the entire cable.
Old November 26th, 2015, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Isnt that switch internal?
Old November 27th, 2015, 7:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Internal as in the tranny? I wouldn't think so. I thought they were all adjustable. Depending how long and cold the winter is up here in Canada, I might take the steering wheel apart and take a peek inside. Maybe the reverse switch is adjustable too or can be cleaned up to work better.
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

I looked online a bit. I think you are right. You are a few years away from it being moved to the case. Once your column is apart, you should have it all there.
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey thanks for the precheck! I'm working on shocks right now but when I do dig in the column I'll share my findings.