Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Savana/Express vs. the German Maker

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2015, 12:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Savana/Express vs. the German Maker

Ok.

So over the winter I started looking for a van. Two months went by with me having to work with wet tools, supplies, the risk of theft, etc. I was trying to take my time but I had a lot on my plate besides buying a van. I finally broke down one weekend and decided to buy a $5000 van as a stop gap measure. However the particular van I looked at was a beast. 6.0L, left side cargo doors... perfect for what I wanted but it was beat to all hell. Every panel looked like it was hit with a forklift pallet and I just couldn't. Since they were asking $10K for it, I just drove to a dealership.

I viewed new and newer ones before, but this day... there it was. A van with all the options I felt I needed (less keyless) and although I felt it was too expensive for what it was, it just sat on my mind. I told myself not to buy it and the next day I did.

However in my searches, there were four vans I considered. Chev, Ford, ProMaster and Sprinter. Ford was out because... I just don't like Fords, and the interior didn't do it for me. The ProMaster, I really like the functionality but it seems really cheap and completely uncomfortable behind the wheel. So down to the Sprinter and the Express/Savana.

The Sprinter, I really liked it. I viewed and drove older ones. I visited the dealership and was so awestruck I would have signed right there with the right salesman. As luck would have it, there were no salesmen that day, just lot boys. I put it off and then I got too busy.

That's when this Savana happened. And although I've been happy with it, I went through a period of second guessing and almost regretting going through with it. I've always been partial to GM, even when they... have bad years, but the Sprinter has fuel efficiency and the cargo hold I really like which after all is the whole point in buying a van.

So today I finally had the opportunity to be free while I passed a Mercedes Benz dealer. I met the best car salesmen I ever met. He's german, 6'6" and although he's towering.. he's a good guy. I kept trying to get away from him, I talked to him for nearly an hour as he convinced me to keep my Savana (they don't want to have to sell it).

Anyways, the point of the story is... I walked away from there glad I didn't purchase the Mercedes, yet wishing I did. The cargo hold, if the GM had that, my shelving, insulation, everything.. it would all be done by now. You can actually work in there, rain or shine. The Fuel efficiency appeals to me, as long as there's no mechanical issues, it's the better purchase.

However, for me.. it's how I feel sitting in the seat behind the wheel. Old design or not, I find the GM BETTER. I don't want a truck that drives like a car, I want a truck. I want nice, clean, easy to read pleasant GM gauges, pleasing dash layout, an automatic shifter on the column and wipers, etc. that I can actually figure out.

If I could combine the best of both of these vans... I hope GM invests money into the SAVANA/EXPRESS designing an all new van rather than re-badge like the City Express. There's something GM just does right for me, even if they lack in certain aspects.

Does anyone else have an opinion? I'll probably still toy with the idea of taking a hit for the Mercedes, but I know I would miss the Savana.

Last edited by dberladyn; May 14th, 2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old May 14th, 2015, 9:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an opinion. If GM caves in and discontinues the savana/express in favor of a new euro crap van like the sprinter I will slit my wrists......lol.
I hate the new euro vans. They are too tall, too expensive, underpowered, and unless you really need a huge cargo hold you can stand up in...useless.
I wonder how much the sprinter is going to cost to maintain and repair once they are more than 10 to 15 years old.......I'm guessing they will be throwaways.
I like lots of other trades need a long van that i can get into undergroung parking to work in residential areas.....even the express is 6 foot 10 where the previous chev van was only 6 foot 5.
I like your choice, and as long as the paint peeling bs does not happen to you, you have a better van than if you had spend thousands more on that sprinter.....imo.
Old May 16th, 2015, 5:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing that GM will stay with this design for a while. There is no larger GM Euro-van that I am aware of. So they would have to design it from scratch. The Dodge, Ford, and Benz are carry overs from Europe. The Nissan vans look clever.. I think they are pickup-based.
Old May 17th, 2015, 7:38 PM
CF Pro Member

This Generation is 20 years old, I'd expect them to be working on a replacement, even if it's at a slow pace. I read somewhere the Opel is a possible replacement. And you know, I wouldn't mind as long as GM kept the interior, shifter, gauges, all that stuff.... NORTH AMERICAN.
Old May 19th, 2015, 6:42 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the Mercedes and I will swap you for my 3500 Express on the spot.
Old May 20th, 2015, 2:51 AM
CF Pro Member

Well... I guess I read your post too late. But thanks anyways.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 2:14 AM
CF Beginner

i byed last winter an express in usa and imported to germany.

because the euro vans ... i don´t like it ...

Unfortunately the is the last right van, the express.

now that the 1500 no longer produced ...

I'm fear gm will sell in the future the opel movano .

Old May 30th, 2015, 11:56 PM
CF Active Member

the sprinters are very expensive to fix, and rust out within a couple years. You did good getting the GM. Fords suck, I had one for about a year before my chevy (needed one and got a good deal on it) The Rams are nice, but have a terrible ride. A buddy crashed his express van and they gave him a promaster for a while until he found a new one. he said he liked the van, but it rode horribly compared to his much older chevy.

They are going to a European style van in a year or two, if you do a search on google, you will see what they have in store. I just hope they keep the option of a larger motor too. I don't want to be forced in to a 4 or 6 cyl. engine, or a new fangled odd one like the 5 cyl ones in the mercs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chev...w=1366&bih=672

Last edited by tsbrewers; May 30th, 2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old May 31st, 2015, 2:03 AM
CF Pro Member

I looked.

When I bought the first van, I was looking to see if there was a new model around corner. You are the first person to claim so. I remember telling the sales person I will be pissed if GM introduces a new model in a year or two. I suspect GM will introduce the Opel, but I don't think it will happen for a few years. Think about it, GM is the only one producing a "Man's" van. A power house.

I could be wrong as I haven't checked Ford, but I can out tow anything I know of. Now if I had the Duramax, I'd be at the top of the food chain.

Anyways I do like this van. It would take getting used to but I would be happy if GM released it with the right suspension/engine combinations. Oh, and classic GM gauges/dash layout. The other vans lack in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Savana/Express vs. the German Maker-2015-chevy-city-express-price.jpg  
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All I know is that there will still be express vans out there that will last me till I retire from my trade....then they can take their euro crap box vans and shove em.