Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Serious problem! Any advice welcome

Old February 14th, 2015, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious problem! Any advice welcome

Hello all

So, today we went out to start our van, and it wouldn't start. It is a Chevy Express 1500 Cargo Van - 2001 model. We attached it to a battery, and the strangest thing happened! It started trying to turn over! There was NO key in the ignition though! Has anyone ever experienced this!? Do they know what it is? So, again, the original battery in it was dead. We took a newer battery out of our truck, fully charged, because the truck could not reach the van parked like it was. We removed that battery, attached the ends of lead to van / new battery, and upon connecting the last lead to the new battery, the van started trying to turn over (it kept trying...it never actually turned over completely starting the van - it was struggling to do so.) - NO key in ignition! No fuses were blown or anything - and van will still not start when someone gets in and tries to turn an actual key in the ignition.

Any advice or experience is welcome
Thanks
Sara!
Old February 14th, 2015, 1:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the ignition switch is the electrical switch that sends signal to the starter solenoid to make the starter turn over. maybe its bad.

the small wire at the starter solenoid is feed power from the switch. it should only have power when the key is turned to start. disconnect this wire and reconnect the battery...does it stop the cranking at all times?
Old February 14th, 2015, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Hey tech2,
Ill try that and let you know what happens. Just give me a few min to respond. My fiance had to step out for a couple min. and will be back in about 10 to help me get this sorted out. Ill post a reply of what happens shortly. Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2015, 2:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could the starter replay be fused in the start position? Swapping the fuel pump relay and the starter relay could be an easy way to test that....since they are the same part number. They are side by side in the fuse block by the master cylinder.
Old February 14th, 2015, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

I'll def check this out too. Any help is welcome, and I appreciate it very much! Thanks. Ill keep you posted.
Old February 14th, 2015, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Update: We went out and disconnected the relay. He plugged in the vans battery and for literally a second (like there was some residual energy) it tried to turn over. (Keep in mind he has had the van battery on charge with a charging machine). He tried to turn the key in the ignition and nothing happened. He then connected the new battery to the van and it DIDN'T begin the trying to turn over again and again w/out the key in the ignition. He went in the van and tried the key and it started. He came out and plugged the starter relay back in and it stayed running. We turned the van off and turned the key again and it started again. Its almost as if he has a sticky starter relay? Or it needed to be reset and this did it?

Is it possible they overheat and it causes it to need to be reset? Could it be moisture? Is it possible this is the beginning of the relay going? Is it just a sticky relay? Any thoughts are great appreciated. You have been a great help so far! I am guessing this is going to be a continual problem here and there - what could cause this? Fix it? Etc.

Thank you for all the help thus far!
Old February 14th, 2015, 4:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The relay is not too expensive. Just pick up a new one.
If you swap them, the van should turn over normally, but wont start without the fuel relay in place.....that is if the sticky one won't engage.
Its possible that swapping the battery discharged the "sticky" part of the relay...and now its working okay till next time.....
I have a 2002 and have not had this issue with a relay.
Old June 30th, 2015, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by doveface
Update: We went out and disconnected the relay. He plugged in the vans battery and for literally a second (like there was some residual energy) it tried to turn over. (Keep in mind he has had the van battery on charge with a charging machine). He tried to turn the key in the ignition and nothing happened. He then connected the new battery to the van and it DIDN'T begin the trying to turn over again and again w/out the key in the ignition. He went in the van and tried the key and it started. He came out and plugged the starter relay back in and it stayed running. We turned the van off and turned the key again and it started again. Its almost as if he has a sticky starter relay? Or it needed to be reset and this did it?

Is it possible they overheat and it causes it to need to be reset? Could it be moisture? Is it possible this is the beginning of the relay going? Is it just a sticky relay? Any thoughts are great appreciated. You have been a great help so far! I am guessing this is going to be a continual problem here and there - what could cause this? Fix it? Etc.

Thank you for all the help thus far!
Sounds to me like the battery you had had to much voltage and it was trying to escape out the nearest path which would be the starter motor