Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Serpentine Belts that Squeel

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2012, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belts that Squeel

2002 Chevy Express Cargo Van, very squealy serpentine belt.

Trial 1: Belt Dressing.. Made it worse it squeeled on the road and not just at startup

Trial 2: WD-40 Worked like a charm and I sincerely doubt those that say its going to harm the belt. Smooth sailing around the pullies now, no noise
Old June 13th, 2012, 6:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

temporary fix. If your belt is over 4 years old replace it. 80% of belt failures happen after this time point.
Old June 13th, 2012, 7:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
temporary fix. If your belt is over 4 years old replace it. 80% of belt failures happen after this time point.
You should check it for cracks. Take it off, turn the contact side over, and pull it apart. If it is worn, you will see tons of tiny cracks.
Old June 13th, 2012, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for the replies

It might be a good candidate for replacement true but there is something to be said for how loud it was and then nothing after the WD-40.

Checked it for cracks and tension and both were fine. also its not too bad as far as being shiny on the backside. But visually might be hard to tell so if the problem persists, new belt time for sure.

I just wrote my post for the amazement of how quiet it got after the WD40.

Nice hehe.
Old June 14th, 2012, 8:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
I second that motion.
Old June 14th, 2012, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default Tech 2 was right on, many thanks

Yup the WD40 wore off the belt faster than a hummingbird taking flight, haha

So the replacement happened this morning. Liked the extended tensioner tool for reaching down the front of a van with no space. The tensioner releases very easily thankfully and the belt came off and went on with new relatively smoothly. Didnt even have to crawl under or jack the vehicle.

Sometimes you cant see what the problem is with the old belt but something happens to it like it stretches or wears enough to go bad. New seems to be working fine. Will give it a few weeks to know for sure.

It is night and day as to how smooth the engine compartment sounds now while running, not bad for a 25 dollar part addition.

Last edited by Got Options?; June 17th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old June 14th, 2012, 6:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

spraying the belt actually is a quick diagnostic check to determine if a squeal noise is the belt or pulley.

I spin all the pulleys by hand when the belts off as a double check.
Old June 15th, 2012, 4:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when I got this Suburban the motor would rattle when you start it up. Sounded like bad rocker arms in the right side head. The guy I got it from actually bought the rocker arms for the car. I said hmmm, maybe not. I went to Autozone and got me a $9 serp belt put it on and the rattling went away. Look at that. The belt would make the noise when it would run around the compressor and make it sound like the head had a problem.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

I had a 1994 Ranger that was plagued by a squealing serpentine belt. I suffered with it for a year before deciding to sell it for other reasons. I told the buyer about it as he was going over the vehicle, and he showed me some crap stuck to one of the pulleys that runs on the outside of the belt. Before selling it to him I took it home, started the engine and ran some polishing paper over the pulley. The squealing stopped. One thing I found that really works well is a squeeze of baby powder right onto the belt while it's running. It would shut that belt up silent for a week or two, unless it got wet. I kept one of those little baby powder bottles in the dash the entire time I owned that vehicle... it was a good truck, just too small for what I needed. I also tried belt dressing... I've never heard such a horrible racket.
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default What next

'03 Chev Cav 4dr, n b brand new battery put in Mid Sept, brand new alternator early Oct & brand new Serpentine belt put on beginning of Dec. ALL, THIS year. Squealed before belt took its last breath & new belt=squeal free for NOT EVEN 1 WEEK!!!! WHY???? WHAT IS IT\WHAT COULD IT BE?? AND WHAT CAN I DO??!!!?!??!!
thank you

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belts that Squeel