Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Side cargo door hinge issue

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2016, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side cargo door hinge issue

The door closer to the front of the van opens way to far. Im guessing the stopper is missing or something like that. Can I get direction on how to get this fixed. A how to or anything would be great.

See images attached...

Thank you,

torture
Attached Thumbnails Side cargo door hinge issue-img_3153.jpg   Side cargo door hinge issue-img_3152.jpg  
Old October 18th, 2016, 8:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cannot tell from that photo if the strap has broken away from the door. Can you compare another van at a car lot to see how its supposed to work, and look?
Old October 19th, 2016, 7:10 AM
CF Beginner

Yes I suppose I can do that. I can tell you this and sorry for the bad picture. The metal hinge or metal long strap that connects from the van frame to the inside of the door is there, its almost as if a stopper is missing or it unlatched if that makes sense
Old October 20th, 2016, 9:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I wasn't... If I had the energy and time, I would take a picture of mine for you. The other poster is right, the strap is hard to see. On my van, I have looked at those straps, because honestly, I wish my doors opened like that. I determined looking at the restraining strap that the factory builds them like that for a reason. You don't want to knock doors chipping paint. I am completely assuming, but perhaps someone modified the strap for a wider access? I won't promise, but I might take pictures of mine for you in the next few days. The camera is in the truck for another purpose, I have far too much to do, but I might be able to extend the little bit of effort to do it for you. Personally, it looks like it might just be modified for a wider opening. If you fix it to factory specs, you'll probably miss the easier access your door currently provides.

EDIT: Looking again, I think someone did modify it. Hopefully I can study mine and take a picture. Your's might be different being older, but it almost looks adjustable. Is that a bolt in a slotted hole in the middle of the strap?

Last edited by dberladyn; October 20th, 2016 at 9:36 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 12:35 AM
CF Pro Member

I hope these help.
Attached Thumbnails Side cargo door hinge issue-2014_savanalh-rear-hinge-restraint-1-.jpg   Side cargo door hinge issue-2014_savanalh-rear-hinge-restraint-2-.jpg   Side cargo door hinge issue-2014_savanalh-rear-hinge-restraint-3-.jpg   Side cargo door hinge issue-2014_savanalh-rear-hinge-restraint-4-.jpg   Side cargo door hinge issue-2014_savanalh-rear-hinge-restraint-5-.jpg  

Side cargo door hinge issue-2014_savanalh-rear-hinge-restraint.jpg  
Old October 23rd, 2016, 10:19 AM
CF Senior Member

The jamb side of the strap has a spring, is the spring there? It keeps the strap in contact with a stud in the door. If I pull my door almost closed and pull on the strap it will come off the stud, resulting in a condition that you have, the door will open all the way. I think it is designed that way to easily open the door beyond the stop.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 8:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Aside from that, it looks like the "bend" has been straightened on his retaining strap. That in my mind would allow the door to swing wider.

Looking again, his strap slips out further past the door. Another, more viable diagnosis is that the strap is not retained properly inside the door. The only part of the interior I have never removed is the moldings over the doors and the jambs. I would likely remove the door mouldings to see if there isn't an access hole to the anchoring point. Maybe it was unanchored for wider performance.

Last edited by dberladyn; October 23rd, 2016 at 8:55 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 9:44 PM
CF Senior Member

1st-OK here is torturebori's picture rotated
2nd-This is his and mine side by side, with mine released like his.
3rd-Mine hooked on the post in the door
4th-Mine unhooked from the post (with door almost closed pull strap, will come off the post)
5th-Looking at bend at end of the strap

I think the spring is broken, or the post in the door is missing, broken with excessive force, possibly a wind gust. With a flashlight look in the door area, you should see a vertical rod (post).
Attached Thumbnails Side cargo door hinge issue-9459d1476556384-side-cargo-door-hinge-issue-img_3153.jpg   Side cargo door hinge issue-screen-shot-2016-10-23-10.19.00-pm.jpg   Side cargo door hinge issue-p1010272.jpg   Side cargo door hinge issue-p1010273.jpg   Side cargo door hinge issue-p1010274.jpg  

Old October 29th, 2016, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you guys for all the feedback, and sorry I'm getting to this now.

My door does have the spring but the side that goes into the door is loose as a goose, like there is nothing holding it. I can move it and flap it around. So I am guessing what ever holds it inside is undone or missing somehow.

Next step taking the door cover off to see the inside
Old October 29th, 2016, 12:18 PM
CF Senior Member

"what ever holds it inside is undone or missing somehow" What holds it is the vertical post inside the door, should be able to see it, with a flashlight, through the opening where the strap goes in the door. If you don't see it, you'll have to take off the door cover.

Quick Reply: Side cargo door hinge issue