Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Side door hinge issues

Old November 17th, 2007, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side door hinge issues

Hello, i own a 2004 Chevrolet Express Van (Extended) and i am having issues with the side door. One day all of a sudden it feels like someone welded the hinges solid. It is extremley hard to close and open the door. You can even see the hinge flexing where it is connected to the frame of the car. If you guys need any more information let me know and i will post up. Any help or input will be highley appreacited. Thank you
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Side door hinge issues

The problem is corrosion/seizing of the hinge pin. Acutally the problem is a really crappy design from GM. The GM "fix" to this is to drill a 1/8" hole the middle hinge section until you get to the pin (I prefer 2 holes, 1 near top 1 near bottom). But anyway, the basic idea is once you have the hole spray a good penetrating lube equipped with a nozzle straw into the hole and soak the **** out of it. After letting it soak in, gently move the door back and forth until it frees up. This could take a couple days of doing depending on the situation. THEN, you want to lube it again with say lithium grease again thru a straw for a lasting lube. Some folks even silicone the holes when done. If you have a nice van such as a conversion and don't mind spending some dough, you can have a body shop remove the pins and replace with stainless steel or even clean up and grease the originals. All I can tell you is, I have been working for days to repair a broken hinge I have in lieu of a grand to have a shop do it.
Old November 5th, 2009, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default side door hinges 2006 express van

My side door hinges were binding, I tried lubricating them without success, eventually one lower hinge partially broke. So myself and my helper access the van through the rear door. It seems to work better for us. I don't want to completely break the side door hinge. There must be a better replacement than hundreds for each hinge.
Old November 5th, 2009, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Angry My 2003 has one broke hinge and others binding..

My '03 3500 extended side doors are almost completely frozen. The right side lower hinge is actually broken. I went to my local body shop to inquire replacing all hinges.. and they rolled their eyes!!! They have an '03 on a rack that was in an sideswipe, and GM can't get the correct hinges they say. He showed me what they sent. Two look like the originals, and two look like a "redesign"?? He's been on trying to get a straight answer, but nobody at GM can give him one!!! Supposedly they are redesigning them, but it doesn't look like a great fix... imagine a gap in the middle of the hinge exposing the pin.. yeah, not sure how that is not going to corrode and have the same issues??

Anyways, I'm just dealing with it for now, but would really like them replaced. I'll post up here as I find out more info..

Alex
Old November 15th, 2009, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

I 've run into this problem on a couple of Express models at my shop.
I just picked up an 06 Express 1500 Cargo this last Thursday and it has this also.
What I have done is use PB Blaster on the hinges and work them a few hundred times (no kidding) and I did this each day for about 4 days.
The PB Blaster will penetrate and bust up the rust , and drip all over the paint.
When they're good and loose , blow out the hinges as best you can with compressed air and then start lubing them with Castle Endura spray.
The Endura will penetrate like the PB Blaster and then gel up like a grease after it's in there.
Do this for a couple more days , and then monthly after that.....
The Endura is about the greatest thing I've used on the door hinge pins and also the door lock tumblers.
We actually had a contractor come in with stuck hinges and we had to vibrate the hinges with an air chisel in order to get the PB Blaster in the pins.
We wrecked the paint , but he was fine with it anyway.
Good luck with yours....
Mick
Old February 2nd, 2010, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my side door hinges has broken. I have searched the web and been unable to find replacements for sale. Does anyone know where I might find replacement side door hinges for a 2003 Chevy Express 2500? Am I going to have to go to the junk yard?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Trailrez1 (April 9th, 2022)
Old April 3rd, 2010, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys I have an 05 with the same problem and my local dealer said this was the way to fix it.http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
(just search for your model and body exterior and look for the pin and bushing kit) they said that they would have to drill out the old ones and replace them with the grease able ones. but they wanted $95.00 for the part only!! WTF and not covered under my warranty. did some searching and found the kit sorry but the way that sight works I could not fully link it for you but its there just look for the kit its a DORMAN Part # 38455 and costs $16.26. I don't want the greasy oily mess on the side of my van but I keep it in check.

hope this helps.
Old March 8th, 2012, 4:01 AM
CF Beginner

auto zone by me had a hinge kit (2 hinges,bushings,and lube fittings) for 25$
i went to junk yard and found a hinge on old express van that must have been some kind of repair hinge - it had screws
now i just have to get old one off without wrecking door
and 2 hinge pins out
hinge i picked up only had one side-with screws
this is a real f up by chevy
are they going to be like ford from now on?
Old March 9th, 2012, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2002 Chevy Express 3500, not looking good for the upper left hinge on the swing out door, the door side of the hinge is cracked completely through, its rusted now as I recently purchassed the vehicle and the pin is swelled on the bottom and looks like it will never come through the containment channel. Drills and hacksaws are the only thing I have not tried yet. On top of that the brackets that the pins attach to on the van and the van door look to be both press fit and welded ? Someone wasnt thinking straight at the chevy design studios that day. So even if I remove the pin I am unsure as to how to replace the holding bracket attached to the door.. The connection is very strange, any one whom has fixed this problem I would appreciate some knowledge as to how the heck they did it. Thanks
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup - original hinges are welded on mine too. One was broken & factory repair kit was a bolt/weld on replacement - ~ $130 for the dealer hinge repair set for one hinge! Basically - it's not a driveway repair for most folks.

Yeah, you're right: GM has been sucking wind on some of the crackhead design notions of late. The hinges, damnable plastic door latch assemblies, plastic replacing metal on areas easily damaged on a work van. Basically, GM is turning a decent van into a Bic lighter: disposable.

I'll try to shoot a pic of the repair hinge the body shop put in if you think it'll help ya any.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side door hinge issues