Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Side door hinge issues

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2015, 7:27 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have A broken hinge on side cargo 40" door lower hinge is snapped just befor the Eye inlets, the rest are still good for now. i wore out 2 carbide blades trying to cut threw the factory spot welds , im going to try drilling the welds out Tomorrow , Doese anyone know a better way to cut the old hinges off without damage to the othere areas ? i did enough damage getting the coroted pins out . Can some one tell me if it tells us to maintain our hinges any ware in the owners manual , oh and how about if you have the van with both sides. i just failed inspection over this.
Old April 12th, 2015, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Hey lunghd, I am interested about the outcome of the PB Blaster fix. I posted my story to help, and I would like to know if it did. Blast it to death and let it soak. Then swing the door and blast it until it loosens up. Mine is still like new. Let me know. Thanks. - Novapawn
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a tab break too, but I just had it welded back on. Then I did the greasable hinge pins at the same time. Actually, I think I broke the hinge trying to install the pins.

Brew
Old April 26th, 2015, 3:22 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by novapawn
Hey lunghd, I am interested about the outcome of the PB Blaster fix. I posted my story to help, and I would like to know if it did. Blast it to death and let it soak. Then swing the door and blast it until it loosens up. Mine is still like new. Let me know. Thanks. - Novapawn
Been meaning to come back & post to this & say thanks!

EDIT: At first... the PB Blaster definitely did help loosen the hinge up. About 6 weeks later it bound up so bad it was in danger of ripping the hinge out... again. Can't recommend the PB Blaster... but I can't blame it, either. (This is a design issue.)

Last edited by lunghd; November 21st, 2015 at 5:20 PM.
Old June 6th, 2015, 1:37 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I used some synthetic engine oil over hinges, after couple days they were fine.
Old June 7th, 2015, 9:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So I have hinged cargo doors on both sides. The truck is new. What do you all recommend for maintenance? What should I do and how often?
Old June 7th, 2015, 9:57 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by dberladyn
So I have hinged cargo doors on both sides. The truck is new. What do you all recommend for maintenance? What should I do and how often?
That's tough. The results of the various oils I've tried have discolored the paint around my hinge but having the door work is more important for me as I have a work van. My hinge was actually replaced after failing... and the replacement is trying to seize up as well.

The good thing is that you are 'on it' now which will certainly help you avoid a hinge failure but I hesitate to suggest any of the oils etc I've tried because of possible paint damage.
<script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script>
Old June 7th, 2015, 1:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I decided I should do something, since it sat untouched for nearly a year. I just walked out and dripped a few drops of this around the tops and center of each hinge. Without a spray, that's the best I can do. I hope it doesn't eat the paint.

http://www.aerostich.com/teflon-mult...lubricant.html

Of all the modern general-purpose lubricants we've tried, this is by far our favorite. It provides noticeably superior lubrication for brake, clutch levers, throttle cables…waterproof zippers...and just about everything else you want to work more smoothly, too. It's neat and clean, not oily. The lubricant's secret is that it contains a suspension of microscopic (nano?) TeflonŽ particles in a fast-evaporating carrier.
The great lubricating properties last a long long time. The formula is silicone free, too. And it protects against rust and oxidation and doesn't attract dirt or grime. Clean lubrication that lasts up to five times longer than other lubricants. Works fantastic on all water-resistant zippers. 4 oz.
Attached Thumbnails  Side door hinge issues-4966_1a_5.jpg  
Old June 9th, 2015, 7:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Aftermarket grease-able pins $6
Old June 10th, 2015, 2:20 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by edac
Aftermarket grease-able pins $6
Greaseable? How?

Are you talking about roll pins such as are available at Tractor Supply and most hardware stores? Problem there is getting the old one out & the irony that the buyer has to do what some degreed numbskull at GM couldn't figure out...

Please put up a part number or vendor!
<script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script>

Quick Reply: Side door hinge issues