Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

side door hinges a sticking

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2010, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dorman 38455 HELP! Door Hinge Pin and Bushing Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-38455-H...art/B001C6OZ66

I plan to buy these soon.
Old August 8th, 2012, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

orillys parts stor has hindge pins with a grease fitting. you knock the old ones out with an air hammer. install new pins then screw on grease fitting. grease it with gun AND NO MORE PROBLEMS.I had a1999 express that stuck . fixed it with these.have a 2003 knocked pins out after got it home so far no problems cost 25.00 with tax good luck
Old August 8th, 2012, 8:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

If the pins aren't lubed at every oil change they seize because they are exposed to the elements....do they lube them at the quicky oil change places,...I'll say no.
Old October 8th, 2012, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

2003 Cheyy Express.W LEFT SIDE CARGO DOOR right swing open door hinge & latch problem. Spoke to GM REP regarding possible recall . She stated no recall only for gas tank neck and seat belt. The hinge/latch is molded onto the actual door which requires total replacement. Dealership estimate 1000 for repair. This is a safety hazard because my kids cant enter or exit via the sidewalk ..they have to use the driver side passenger side (street swing door) to exit or enter the vehicle.

GM is the manufacturer of the hinge/door latch per customer service . I went on safercar.gov and plan on filing a safety complaint. I appreciate if anyone who has problems or had problems with their swing door to please file a complaint o safercar.gov website, which will be investigated and hopefully GM will recall and fix this safety issue. I dont want to pay a grand, let alone any cashout for a design problem on their end. Any comments or suggestions feel free to contact me @ breedj1@msn.com.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
Old June 17th, 2014, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Got the perfect solution, boys and girls!! Cost is about 25 cents.

Okay, so both my Chev Express and Savanna service vehicles both had problems with the smaller (left hand) door on the side. They were seized so badly that I was worried I would break the hinge welds every time I tried to open them. I had tried everything to lubricate them, WD-40, penetrating oil, lithium grease and even tried to heat them up with a mini torch to see if I could break the rust
grip on the hinge pins. No way, no how. Then today I had a helluva great idea. I stopped at my local drug store and bought a hypodermic syringe - cost me all of 22 cents. I filled the needle with CLR (you know . . . calcium, lime, rust - available at any hardware store or home centre). So, the needle part of the syringe fit perfectly between the knuckles on the hinges and I was able to carefully shoot some of the CLR in between and work the door back and fourth. I did this for few minutes and then noticed the rust just pouring out of the hinge, so I shot some more in there and kept working the door a bit more. Now I can open the door with one finger! Not a word of a lie! Be careful to clean the excess liquid off the hinge and paint and use water to neutralize the acid then lube the hell out of them. You're welcome, folks!!
Old June 17th, 2014, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update, many people will find it handy. I am going on about 2 years with my new greasable pins and they work great too.
Old June 21st, 2014, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same issue - left swing door was VERY hard to work. I soaked both pins in 3-in-1 penetrating oil for 30 minutes and then worked the door back and forth. I repeated this every morning for 3 days - now it moves smooth as butter.

I really like the above posted solution of injecting CLR into the hinge gaps. I'll do that at my next oil change and then reinject more 3-in-1 oil.