Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Side to Side play in Front Passenger Wheel When Jacked Up

Old February 17th, 2015, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side to Side play in Front Passenger Wheel When Jacked Up

Hey all,

So I recently became the proud new owner of a 1993 G2500 Vandura shorty. It's mostly pretty tight, but definitely has a couple of issues that make it sort of unsafe to drive, hopefully y'all can help.

It drives just fine, but whenever I brake, especially quickly at higher speeds, there is a clunking or thump thump thumping sound from the right front wheel, and it pulls sharply to the right for a second. Braking quickly at anything above 30 -35 miles an hour is pretty spooky. When i stop slowly and ease onto the brake, the thumping is not as bad and it doesn't pull so badly. From what I can see, the rotor looks pretty good, so I don't think it's a brake issue. I jacked it up real quick the other day and gave it the wobble test. There is no movement from top to bottom, but there is some play in the wheel when you move it side to side. Any suggestions what may be causing the clunking and the pulling? Thanks in advance guys!
Old February 17th, 2015, 1:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tie rod end.
Have someone put side to side force on the wheel while its off the ground and you look at the play in the ball joints along the steering linkage. The outer tie rod could be loose and that would cause the wobble, and play.
The pull to the side though does sound like braking. Make sure you go over the caliper slide pins and make sure its all clean and lubed. Also check for uneven wear on the brake pads. check for rotor warpage, and the left brakes for issues like seized caliper.....etc. If the left side isnt working properly it will pull to the right.

Last edited by canucklehead; February 17th, 2015 at 1:49 AM.
Old February 17th, 2015, 2:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks canucklehead, I'll give that a look in the morning. I'm hoping it's all an easy fix, i still have issues with the tranny to figure out, and I want to get this bad boy on the road!