Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Sliding door vs regular door

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2011, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sliding door vs regular door

Looking to buy a 08 chevy, was told by dealer that the sliding door is nothing but trouble, but not sure if this is due to the fact that he had no sliding door and is trying to sell me one with just the two regular split doors. Can anybody help me?? Has anybody had trouble with their sliding door??
Old March 18th, 2011, 1:23 AM
CF Junior Member

he suggested u the right thing. in sliding door there always are chances of misalignment of doors which can irritate u.
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

I currently own a 2006 3500 12-passenger van with a sliding door. The reason we opted to buy the sliding door was to avoid the children of piling out of the van and swinging the doors open only to ding up the car in the parking spot next to us.

Our sliding door has trouble closing fully on occasion (probably an alignment problem), but I would prefer it again because it is so much more convenient in tight spots for the kids.
Old April 8th, 2011, 1:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

they are expensive to repair. Worst case senario when the door motor's/clutchs break is to cut the cable. they then work like a manual sliding door.
Old April 9th, 2011, 8:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Default slider

My 2011 now has a little over 4000 miles. I opted for the slider due to all the hinge pin issues. It needs a little slam when you close it but so far so good. If I had little kids it would probably get a little annoying with the effort situation. I think the cargo doors are a little easier to close as long as you can keep the pins well lubed but the slider does have the advantage with opening space required if your garage is tight. This is a tough call.<O</O
Old April 14th, 2011, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

There seems be some confusion concerning electric vs. manual sliding doors. I have a manual sliding door on my 2004 Express, and it has never given me any trouble. A sliding door is much easier and more convenient than swing-open doors.

I don't know anything about electric sliding doors, and I didn't even know that electric doors were available on Chevy vans. Power windows and power door locks are very convenient, but I don't understand why anyone would need an electric sliding door. A manual door has fewer things that can go wrong with it. That's why I never have an electric ice maker in my refrigerator. The less complicated a device is, the less likely it will need repair work.
Old April 15th, 2011, 5:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Manual slider only

There were never electric sliding doors offered on the full size vans as far as I know.<O</O
I’ve had both sliders and cargo. I think I prefer the cargo and of course my new van has a slider. As long as the cargo hinge pins don’t seize up. The van before this one had cargo doors so I thought I would try a new slider and see if they are any better. The slider is better since the last one I had. With the guide track located in the middle of the door that certainly is an improvement. I think if anything I would like to see a better spring to pop the rear of the door open when you pull the handle. It does slide well though. No complaints there. I do have to give it some effort to latch when I close it. I would like to see that improved.<O</O

Last edited by jampg; April 16th, 2011 at 6:43 AM.
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

I have had 4 Express vans, 3 with sliding door, and 1 with swing out doors.

The sliding door is the best hands down. Never had any problems with sliding door.
The only problem with swing out doors was wind catching them.
Old June 11th, 2011, 6:30 AM
CF Junior Member

I have found my slider closes real nice if a door or window is open. Seems too air tight maybe.
Old June 16th, 2011, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 99 Express that I purchased used, exclusively for a work van. I was apprehensive at first about the slider but now I would not have anything else. Perfect for parking lots, no swinging door to hit someones car if its windy or if you have kids or if you have your hands full. Door opening is huge, I can put a household gas range in through the door without any help. Opens and closes easily. I grease the darned thing maybe once every three years. All the ones I see with hinges all have rusty hinges or newly welded on replacement hinges. Mine is the generic white van. Perfecet for work, only van I know that you can stand sheets of plywood or drywall on edge and slide into van (4x8's). Best designed work van on the market. Always was a Ford man (F-150), now, for what I do, I would definately get onother one.

Quick Reply: Sliding door vs regular door