Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
Old August 10th, 2015, 2:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Softer suspension? 3500 extended passenger

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2013, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softer suspension? 3500 extended passenger

We just bought a 3500 Extended passenger van (2009 model year).

We never transport a massive amount of stuff in it, just the family, so every time we hit a bump, the entire family dang near flies out of their seat. It's rather annoying. I've sat in the back, and man it's absurdly bouncy.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket (or factory option even) suspension that I could have changed out on this sucker, with progressive rate springs and/or variable rate damping based on the amount of travel (does that even exist?)

Basically, I would like to be able to drive this passenger van and make it somewhat reasonable to ride in. Any ideas?
Old October 20th, 2013, 6:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a tough one. The 3500 is heavy duty, so weight is what will smooth it out. What is your tire pressure at?

Only option I can think of is to have a spring shop remove a leaf out of each of the rear spring packs. Lots of aftermarket shocks out there, but I don't think they will necessarily smooth out the ride... could try that first.
Old October 20th, 2013, 9:19 PM
CF Junior Member

I wonder if they used it for towing so they would have made sure its spurng harder.
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing you can do is change it to air suspension. Not cheap though I'm sure. You can't run sifter tires or mess with removing springs, as that would make the van unstable, and perhaps void your insurance.
You could put some weight in the back to dampen the springs effect....
Old October 21st, 2013, 9:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in a reasonably large city there should be a shop that does springs and can modify your existing spring packs. You could lower the air pressure (check front tire load vs rear tire load at a trucking scale) to match that in the front, but the Tire Pressure System will alarm then (don't know if you can have that re-flashed in the computer). I wouldn't expect the shocks to make a significant difference.
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, the tire pressure is the standard (what is it, 80/50?) I forget exactly what it is, I haven't touched it, and the tire pressure system hasn't gone off. I looked to see what it said in the manual and said "oh ok". I didn't think I could lower the tire pressure with these gigantic tires could I? It seems THAT would make it much more unstable than changing the fronts to progressive rate springs, and doing something different in the back.

I saw something a while back that strutmasters sells, an "active suspension" kit, they claim it will make the ride softer, I have no clue how that is the case, but...
Chevrolet Express Vans Suspension Parts & Kits | Strutmasters.com
Old October 22nd, 2013, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Nobody has any thoughts on their stuff?
Old October 22nd, 2013, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by barwick11
Nobody has any thoughts on their stuff?
Its a 3500, 1 ton suspension. Its made for a lot of weight. Its what they do if they're not loaded down. I have a dually and it s a 3500 - same thing but not as bad in the cab of a truck as it would be in the back of a van.

Its all in the suspension. You need to change the suspension if you want something different. You would need lighter springs. Might be better to find a different van.

You could always airbag it but there is cost and labor involved and then you always have to wonder about replacing airbags at some point. Airbags are for hot rods and/or guys that dont mind always tinkering with a vehicle. Prob not the way to go with a family transporter.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get Airbags for trucks. Not just hot rods, but yes, expensive.
Like I said earlier, you cannot reduce your tire pressure. Running anything other than what the sticker says is a bad idea.
I would just put a couple bags of sand in the back and forget about it. Save your money.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Would the 1500 springs be any softer? I can't imagine they would be, and the only difference between the two vehicles is the extended wheel base, I couldn't imagine the spring rates of a 1500 (if it's softer) causing huge disturbances on a 3500?

Quick Reply: Softer suspension? 3500 extended passenger