Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Express & G-Series Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy squeaking pulleys

i have an 03 2500 express with 5.3 80k miles. i thought i'd try and figure out what idler it was so i shot it with penatrating oil. i found they both squeak a bit and got quiter with the oil. i had a major one and it turned out to be the crank pulley?? it was loud but when spraying it was quiet. when i took the idler off for the a/c the crank pulley was quieter.i can understand idlers but what about crank? i should allso mention i'm in northern canada and it's wicked cold up here and there is allot of sand on roads(to cold for salt).
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:41 PM
CF Active Member
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe
My Garage

That's pretty weird, are you sure it's not the belt itself? Sounds like you're saying that a lot of your pulleys are squealing.

'02 Chevy Tahoe Z71 5.3L
performance upgraded
My Garage
Click for pics
Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
CF Beginner

no it is not a squeal,it is a dry,metal on metal high pitch squeaking.when i sparayed the oil it was dead centre of the pulley,on the bolt and washer.i have a power steering pump leaking,so i'm wondering if i'm putting to much load and the crank pulley is slipping on the shaft.i don't know if it has a keyway or not.the idlers are good.very little play and the bearings are perferct.i'm stumped!!!allso have you ever changed the alternator idler.lookin at it it looks like a huge braket with the power steering,alt and a bolt behind the crank pulley.is that right?as we all know it is hard to get a good look under the hood of a van.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 PM

Tags
chevy, crank, crankshaft, engine, lumina, pulley, pulleys, squeak, squeaking, squeaks, squeaky, squeal, squealing, tahoe, van