squeaking pulleys - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

squeaking pulleys

CF Beginner

thompson manitoba canada

January 30th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #1  
squeaking pulleys

i have an 03 2500 express with 5.3 80k miles. i thought i'd try and figure out what idler it was so i shot it with penatrating oil. i found they both squeak a bit and got quiter with the oil. i had a major one and it turned out to be the crank pulley?? it was loud but when spraying it was quiet. when i took the idler off for the a/c the crank pulley was quieter.i can understand idlers but what about crank? i should allso mention i'm in northern canada and it's wicked cold up here and there is allot of sand on roads(to cold for salt).

CF Active Member

TX

January 30th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #2  
That's pretty weird, are you sure it's not the belt itself? Sounds like you're saying that a lot of your pulleys are squealing.

CF Beginner

thompson manitoba canada

January 31st, 2010, 1:11 PM   #3  
no it is not a squeal,it is a dry,metal on metal high pitch squeaking.when i sparayed the oil it was dead centre of the pulley,on the bolt and washer.i have a power steering pump leaking,so i'm wondering if i'm putting to much load and the crank pulley is slipping on the shaft.i don't know if it has a keyway or not.the idlers are good.very little play and the bearings are perferct.i'm stumped!!!allso have you ever changed the alternator idler.lookin at it it looks like a huge braket with the power steering,alt and a bolt behind the crank pulley.is that right?as we all know it is hard to get a good look under the hood of a van.

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors