Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

squeaking pulleys

Old January 30th, 2010, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy squeaking pulleys

i have an 03 2500 express with 5.3 80k miles. i thought i'd try and figure out what idler it was so i shot it with penatrating oil. i found they both squeak a bit and got quiter with the oil. i had a major one and it turned out to be the crank pulley?? it was loud but when spraying it was quiet. when i took the idler off for the a/c the crank pulley was quieter.i can understand idlers but what about crank? i should allso mention i'm in northern canada and it's wicked cold up here and there is allot of sand on roads(to cold for salt).
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:41 PM
CF Active Member

That's pretty weird, are you sure it's not the belt itself? Sounds like you're saying that a lot of your pulleys are squealing.
Old January 31st, 2010, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

no it is not a squeal,it is a dry,metal on metal high pitch squeaking.when i sparayed the oil it was dead centre of the pulley,on the bolt and washer.i have a power steering pump leaking,so i'm wondering if i'm putting to much load and the crank pulley is slipping on the shaft.i don't know if it has a keyway or not.the idlers are good.very little play and the bearings are perferct.i'm stumped!!!allso have you ever changed the alternator idler.lookin at it it looks like a huge braket with the power steering,alt and a bolt behind the crank pulley.is that right?as we all know it is hard to get a good look under the hood of a van.