Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Suspension maintenance

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2014, 10:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension maintenance

If I have the original shocks replaced, should I expect to have to have anything else done?
I've got 100,000 miles on my '97 Chevy 1500 Express (Conversion) Van. All local miles except for a couple of trips when new. When Firestone replaced my tires they did a multipoint check and the only thing they recommended was alignment. The alignment was only off a little; the tires wore evenly and the van drives straight and smooth even with hands off.
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chassis lube. Check your spare tire cable for rust.....
At the mileage have you serviced the tranny?
Old February 20th, 2014, 10:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Default suspension

I was concerned about what else they may try to sell me when I have the shocks/struts replaced.
Chassis lube is done with regular oil/filter changes. Spare tire was just replaced when I bought 4 tires - the cable worked OK.
Transmission was flushed and filled at 57,000 miles - 10 years ago.
Old February 20th, 2014, 3:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any shop that is doing your shocks, will likely do a once over, but they will try to charge you for a full vehicle inspection, which is b.s. You might want to pick up a Haynes repair manual for your van and do your own shocks. Its a piece of cake on an express and will save you the cost of the manual plus a bottle of whiskey, and case of beer, and some flowers for the wife....lol
Old February 20th, 2014, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

If you find an honest alignment man, they can give you a computer printout of your front end specs. I had this done in my town, and (believe it or not) the mechanic came out and said "You don't need an alignment". I was flabbergasted to say the least!! As for shocks, I am considering air shocks for the rear and regular shocks for the fronts.
Old February 20th, 2014, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

an alignment recommendation with new tires is just smart. a van that old will have some spring sagg which will change the alignment angles...especially toe....the biggest tire wear angle.

I've seen new tires wrecked by improper toe settings. The tires will feather edge and create bad tire noise. Once its worn into the tire there is no correcting it. A $100 alignment is good insurance for your $600 tires.
Part of the pre-alignment inspection will be to check all the ball joints, steering components, bearings etc.

Viewing the tire wear pattern on the old tires will give you some indication of how the current alignment is.
Old March 8th, 2014, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

I prefer KYB gas-adjust shocks. I have used them on my '79 G20 since 1996. With good quality performance tires it allows me to drive it like a performance vehicle (100mph on the Autobahn). 310 plus horsepower in the motor helps also. replace the shocks before you have the alignment done. as mentioned check the tie rods, ball joints, and steering idler arms.