Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Thinking About Buying This Van - 89 Chevy Sport Van

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2016, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About Buying This Van - 89 Chevy Sport Van

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying this van here and I need some help determining if it's worth it.

The seller was very up front about what is wrong with the van and I was wondering if you guys could help me determine approximately how much the parts would cost to fix it if I do the work myself.
1. Power steering fluid is leaking at pump.
2. Steering gear box is leaking.
3. Needs alignment. "Right front tire wearing abnormally".
4. Temp gauge stays on cold. Needs sending unit replaced.

Other than that the van looks pretty clean. With everything listed that's wrong with it I wouldn't pay asking price, but if I could talk him down to under $1500 would this be a fair deal?

1989 CHEVY VAN
Old May 22nd, 2016, 7:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say $1500 would be a very good price for that van. Might need more than an alignment on the front end... probably some worn parts.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 5:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 84 I bought for $1000, 125,000 miles on it. Drove it to 275,000 and sold it for $1500. Upper control arm bushings wear out and you need to press them in and out. Might not be just an alignment. Sold it for a 99, already changed engine, trans., and now needs a second flex plate. I like the better gas mileage, but miss my 84.