Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

TPS install in '89 G20, 305

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2016, 4:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS install in '89 G20, 305

Howdy, first thread/post on this site. I got this van in excellent shape, and I've been a bit complacent about proper maintenance. I've already slapped my hands, but you may also do so if you wish.

It's not my daily driver, but when I need it I really need it, and now is one of those times. I've been getting the 'check engine light' off and on. I extracted the trouble codes the old-fashioned way, the indication was for O2 sensor and TPS. Turns out my O2 sensor somehow became disconnected (?!). Will get a new one for the heck of it and install it and hook it up of course.

My big question mark is the TPS. I found a picture of it on the O'Reillys site, but I can't find it in the engine bay. Mine is fuel injected, guess they all are in that year, not sure. I often stall at stoplights, idling of course, and I gather this is one of the symptoms of a bad TPS.

Anybody done this job? I've searched the web and didn't have much luck so far.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 1:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think its a the base of the throttle body just above where it bolts to the intake....
Old March 23rd, 2016, 3:38 AM
CF Junior Member

This is the pic of it at the O'Reilly's site:

Here's one I found. The caption states the blue arrow points to the TPS. Looks like the one pictured on the O'Reilly's site.

Old March 23rd, 2016, 5:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks like and LS instake.
Yours is throttle body right?
Old March 25th, 2016, 2:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes, mine is throttle body.

You mean a Corvette motor? Might be - I did an image search for the part and when I saw that it was a help because I could tell it was the part I'd seen pics of but mounted in place. I found mine - will install today:

Old March 27th, 2016, 11:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Put it in. Seems the stalling at stop light issue is gone. That and the O2 sensor installed has apparently made the check engine light alert go away also. My van is running good. I've been putting all this off for too long.