Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Trade my 95 G20 van for an 89 Astro?

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2014, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade my 95 G20 van for an 89 Astro?

Greetings all this is my first post. I stumbled upon this site seeking help and I'm glad I did.
I have a 1995 Chevy G20 van, love it to death because it's my first vehicle. I paid 600 bucks for it in May 2014 and I've put about 2500 miles on it (Now at 225xxx)
I've done a lot of basic maintenance on it and learned a lot being my first 'car'. Changed the oil myself ASAP with Valvoline MaxLife, flushed all fluids and replaced (PS, BF, COOLANT, TRANNY) The tranny fluid I had to do because there was a leak which I fixed (New tranny pan gasket and filter) New brake pads, new thermostat, new EGR valve, spark plugs, spark plug wires, new tailpipe, new shocks, tinted windows (ahem), carpeted interior.... and more that's irrelevant.
Simply put, there are no immediate engine problems other than getting 10 MPG. I use this as a daily driver. Also the heater and AC only work when I'm driving. It's cold here. Haha.
I just got an offer of an 1989 Astro for my G20. I haven't checked it out yet, but has no apparent problems according to the guy. Has a replaced engine though with only 60xxx miles which makes me curious. This van is rated at 15 MPG.
I need the space of a van for my job but not as much that the G20 has. I can deal with a smaller van with better MPG. I'm just wondering, after all the time and money I've put into a $600 van to make it a very reliable, yet gas guzzling, and bulky, beast; Is it worth the trade?
What's your experience with both vehicles? Pros, cons?
Thanks!
http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1763679?ad_cid=1

Last edited by Chevrolaid; November 5th, 2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

For those of you who can't see my van, it's not the prettiest thing. Has a lot of rusting underneath and some pitting on the sides. The Astro looks aesthetically perfect.
Old November 5th, 2014, 5:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the total mileage on the Astro? Even trade for the G20?

Sounds like your G20 is reliable. I would be in no hurry to inherit someone else's problems. If the Astro checks out 100% might be a good deal. Just be prepared to start all over again with maint. and repairs.

Astro will be more user friendly but mpg will not be as great as you think.
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply!
Judging by your sig I can tell you have a lot of experience with the G Series. Haha.

The VIN shows up as a second VIN on the title because of the 2nd engine. The new engine has only 60xxx miles, and he knows nothing of the car's history. He lives about an hour and a half away so when we meet up on Friday I'll drive it up the mountain and see if it survives hahaha.

My G20 definitely does not come without it's flaws either though, I feel like I'm driving a tank and with no windows, it's really hard to see around me even with blind spot mirrors. That too, the windows on the Astro is a plus.
Old November 8th, 2014, 3:01 AM
CF Beginner

Did the trade Great deal.