Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Transmission Cooler

Old January 12th, 2015, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler

Hello all,

I have a 1995 Chevy G20 V8 3/4 ton cargo van. I am renovating a 50's Airstream which will be around 4000 lbs when done. I plan on towing/living in the trailer full time. I need make needed upgrades. I'm working on the backend to make it more like a truck, but I also need a transmission cooler.

I need a new radiator anyways, should I get a stock-ish radiator and install a transmission cooler or should I get a bigger radiator that has extra cooling built in?

I don't know much when it comes to radiators though I'm researching. Just curious if anyone has done these types of upgrades.

Thanks!
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to meet you we have owned a Ambassador, Land Yacht and Argosy. Love Airstreams and they track great, regarding your van full timing you are likely to see a lot of steep grades, hot weather, traffic in hot weather or all three situations. A larger radiator with a separate transmission cooler is cheap insurance.
Old January 12th, 2015, 1:18 PM
CF Active Member

Yup, I would get as big of a radiator that you can, and also do a separate tranny cooler. I went with this one and it has been fine.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00803CTDA
Old January 12th, 2015, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE:

Thanks! You both confirmed what I was thinking.

Also, my wife just corrected me, it will be 3000lbs trailer tow, 1000lbs cargo haul, 400lbs front hitch. So the bigger the radiator the better
Old January 12th, 2015, 5:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Is your van running a 305,350 or 454?
Old January 13th, 2015, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

I got a 305
Old January 13th, 2015, 5:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will not going too big on the rad cause overcooling, which is bad....
Too much rad core volume will make for increased cooling, but I suppose the thermostat will correct this.
As for the rad cooler, my 2002 express is a heavy 3/4 ton, and has the trailer towing package, and has the tranny cooler in the rad. But a separate one will work too. My concern is cooling too much....especially overcooling the tranny.
Old January 13th, 2015, 7:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Airstreamer, we pull a camper and our sailboat all around the country each year. Now I respect everyone's view and we all have the right to our opinion. Over the years we have never desired for the tow vehicles to run warmer. If you run the southwestern desert during the summer or tow in the Northern US during the winter months, addition cooling will always be welcome.

The flip side is a damaged engine and or Transmission, again only my opinion but we do tow at least 5,000 miles each year.
Old January 14th, 2015, 8:41 AM
CF Active Member

the tranny cooler I linked to above has a thermal bypass. It doesn't allow fluid to flow in to the cooler until a certain temp.
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:38 AM
CF Junior Member

tbrewers, cooler is a better choice in my opinion than not maximizing your cooling capacity.
Your hard working 305 will welcome the heat protection. In my last trip to California pulling a 22' sailboat with a (mid 2000 ish) Explorer was a disaster, after crossing the state line the rear end seized.

When towing heat is your enemy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler