Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Transmission help !!

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2013, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission help !!

Ok so I have a 99 express van 1500 4.3l, Bought the van from a guy who said the tranny had been rebuilt 40 k ago, ive put 13 on it so figure 50k on it. Anyways the transmission shifts HARD from 1-2, 2-3 not so hard but still stiff. Was recommended to replace the pressure control solenoid so I had it replaced yesterday and its done nothing. That trans guy basically told me he didnt know where to go from there and he doesn't want to do anything else unless its a rebuild. I Called a buddy of mines recommended tranny shop and they told me the accumulators could be bad but he'd have to charge me to do the work regardless if it works. I dont have an issue with that except i just want some opinions. Im throwing no Trans related codes. Van runs great and has for 13k miles. Anything i can look into?
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a cut and paste from a different forum with some advice on a similar issue.

You have to determine if it is an electrical or mechanical fault. If it is electrical then:

You might want to check the pass through connection going into the transmisssion and ensure that there is good pins and by that I mean no bent, broken or pushed in pins and no oil at the connection. Reconnect the connector.

The Force Motor or PCS (pressure control solenoid) controls the line pressure. Make sure that you check codes first before going further.
Line pressure is controlled by the computer. The throttle position sensor has a ton to do with giving engine load data to the computer.

The TPS throttle position sensor should be properly adjusted and serviceable even if it is drive by wire.

The Pressure Manifold switch should be checked as this can throw off pressure but this one can be somewhat a long shot.

I would check each and every ground I could find and clean them squeaky clean before doing anything. The computer has to ground. The TPS has to ground. The transmission has to ground. The batteries have to ground to the body. I would run a small ground from the negative to the body. Check all chassis ground.
Corrosion control makes life easier.
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

I almost believe it is an electrical issue, when i picked up the truck the PO threw 3600 into it without getting it to run correctly, i picked it up dirt cheap and my mothers boyfriend who is my mechanic found a bad engine ground, problem solved! Do you or anyone on here have a ground diagram? I am horrible with electrics but a ground is nothing i am nervous about looking into especially if i know locations!
Old July 27th, 2013, 4:54 PM
CF Veteran

The enigne ground is the black wire from the neg on the battery to the side of the engine block. There is also a wire from the engine to the frame.
Try picking up a Haynes repair manual. Its worth the 25 bucks to have around.
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

ordered a Haynes off of amazon this morning! Hope it comes soon! Any idea where i should start my looking? I am assuming at the tps
Old July 29th, 2013, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

I believe i found the issue, I Opened her up today, checked the accumulators, and in the process noticed a wire running to the tranny that was frayed, the copper wiring was showing. Accumulators were fine so i decided to tape up that wire and the rest with electrical, filled her up with fresh fluid and shes shifting BEAUTIFULLY
Also noticed Transgo stamping so i guess it was rebuilt?
Old July 29th, 2013, 7:47 PM
CF Veteran

Nice.