Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Upgrading, good move or bad move??? 2500 -> 3500?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2015, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The black van with the way better options is easier to resell then a plain white van any day. However I am not trying to make you feel bad.....lol
I hope that this new van works out well for you, and saves you a bit of coin at the pump....
Old May 20th, 2015, 2:47 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Right or wrong tonight I am all ->
Old May 20th, 2015, 5:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see some pics!
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:09 AM
CF Pro Member

I wanted to do that first thing this morning but I'm pretty tired and I have a lot of re-organization, paperwork, etc. to do. Anyways, here the morning after shot.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading, good move or bad move???  2500 -> 3500?-dsc_0018.jpg  
Old May 21st, 2015, 1:15 AM
CF Veteran

Nice. I thought you said that you bought the white 2015?
Old May 21st, 2015, 8:56 AM
CF Pro Member

Thank you.

- 6.0L flex Fuel
I haven't even pressed the accelerator pedal down more than an 1/8" but I can tell there's a definite upgrade under the hood. I'm driving it the same. Unfortunately last night when I came home I found myself really hoping that the dealership stopped the pump on the fuel gauges Full mark, and not when the actual pump stopped. It's burning more fuel and it's noticeable, perhaps by a good margin.

LPG or Natural Gas????

- Black
I liked White so much better for cleaning and actual work purposes. However the Black works very well when it comes to looks. As you can see.

- Barn Doors on BOTH sides (opening Windows all doors)
GM never made these, but I do wish it had sliders on both sides. I am going to miss the slider. However the barn doors are not bad (yet). There may be advantages I haven't seen yet. I need the rear side doors to open wider. One thing that is going to trouble me for sometime is the different order of closing the doors between the left and right sides of the van. You have to have one to understand what I mean. The habit of my right hand or my left hand closing the rear door first has to be adjusted to change depending on what side of the van I am on.

- Cargo Door Opening Windows
This is a huge security problem for me. I have some ideas but I want to keep the windows opening, and I probably want to be able to clean the glass from time to time. I have some ideas but they are not well thought out.

- Factory Back up Camera
It's pretty good, surprisingly good at night. I might have to sell my third brake light with camera I had bought and installed on the other van. Even the interior mirror with camera works pretty well. Just last week I ordered a CS-GM1210 radio upgrade to give me a factory nav system that matches the stock one extremely well. I'll have to decide whether to keep that, return it, or sell it. I find it funny that even though the mirror has an LCD in it, it still has the twist **** underneath for bouncing the image of the back glass to reduce headlight glare. No autodim.

- Keyless Entry
Love it. Although I do wish it had buttons for each specific door. There's one for the cargo hold and it only unlocks the very rear doors.

- Keyless Start
I haven't used it yet, but I am very happy to have it. This will be a complete change in lifestyle. My first vehicle with it.

- Composite Headlights
I didn't think I'd really care about this. Well, I was wrong. Night vision is much much better of the standard lights.

- Chrome Bumpers
No real comment. They will compliment the mags I have in mind very nicely.

- Compass / Thermostat on DIC
I am very happy to have the thermostat. The dealer is working on the Compass for me. It was listed on the Window Sticker sheet but not on the RPO codes on the door. I didn't speak with anyone from Service, but I have been dealing right at the top from the start. So far this is the best dealership I have been to and I intend to let GM Canada know that. Anyways, the van has to go back next week to ensure that it has the wiring harness for the compass, from there it's simply the module (cheap) and a BCM update. Yes, I haven't talked to Service yet, but apparently you do need the BCM update.

- Factory Trailering Package
From what I recall, I think the Factory Harness uses a gauge lower on some key wires than I did, but I am much happier to have the Factory wiring. The factory hitch, it's good, but it is not nearly as heavy duty as the Curt Class V HD that I bought. I am swapping them out and the Factory hitch is for sale.

- Vinyl Seats
I had the deal set up so that I could swap my cloth for the vinyl. But you know something, I am keeping the vinyl. It'll survive coffee spills so much better and it is easier to clean. Same goes with the lack of a door on the engine cover. My old door I had to pull up before I could shut it. I think I am going to build a full console out of plywood and covering down the road so this actually works better.

- Plastic Cargo Hold Liners
I just lost mine, but that's ok because they are not molded correctly for this van. The gas tank moved remember. The dealer is working on that for me. I should end up with a liner, there is one in stock locally. BTW, my dealers prices on them are extremely reasonable. Crazy for you all not to buy a set if you have cargo needs.

- Manual Mirrors
Maybe down the road I will install the power mirrors with heat and auto-dimming. I am so close to having all the options I may as well. But it's no rush.

Last edited by dberladyn; May 21st, 2015 at 9:05 AM.
Old May 21st, 2015, 4:12 PM
CF Veteran

I thin the trailer package also includes the aux trans cooler....
Old May 21st, 2015, 9:08 PM
CF Pro Member

If I had the time I'd list the RPO codes, some I haven't found a source to decipher. I am actually very busy, I just come here to share a common interest and to relax. This forum to me is work related, yet a place to relax amongst people with similar interests.

If you tell me what to look for on the van I'll go check. It'll only take me a minute and I'll confirm another option (or not).

I've been driving this thing very lightly, but there was some mix ups in our office and I was in the wrong part of town in the morning. I didn't want to do this, but also I didn't want to leave a Project Manager I haven't met with his thumb up his *** standing in front of clients waiting to meet me. Anyways, I didn't want to do this but I jumped on the freeway gave her some throttle.

I tried to be gentle. Yes, she definitely has more power, however... I must tell you I literally turned green as the speedometer went one way, the fuel gauge went the other. Off the ramp and up a very long steep incline... I thought well... it should be able to handle a little bit of foot this new... climbed up that hill like nothing, but again... I know I burned a lot of fuel doing it.

I am feeling a little sick knowing how much of that tank has burned in only two days. However, if I go by the trip computer... well... it could be possible. We will see how it all how averages out after a few tanks. In the end though, I am wondering about Natural Gas or LPG conversion. I don't really want to do it. I didn't calculate that it would be worth it financially or pain in the rearly, but perhaps it would all be different with the 6.0L. Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited by dberladyn; May 21st, 2015 at 9:12 PM.
Old May 21st, 2015, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a "new to me" 2006 Chevy Express 3500 Extended with the 6.0 liter engine. It was a former Police Prisoner Transport van. 99,000 miles. Fully equipped with power seats, windows, mirrors, door locks, cruise control, heated mirrors, alarm, tinted windows, rear air. etc., etc. I was also concerned about the gas mileage as I was used to 15 mpg on my old GMC 1/2 ton Suburban with 240K on it. I just finished my first tank of gas on the van which included the van sitting and idling for almost an hour and a half while my mechanics tried to balance the AC pressures... until I told them it had rear air. They thought because it was a cargo van that there was no rear air. Anyways, with all that idling and the balance of the tank as city and a small percentage of highway driving, I ended up with a solid 14 mpg's. Better than I expected.

The acceleration is phenomenal.

I bought it for my business, as well as for pulling my 31' 1977 Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading, good move or bad move???  2500 -> 3500?-2015-05-06-06.57.44.jpg  
Old May 21st, 2015, 9:37 PM
CF Pro Member

The Strangest cooler I have ever seen

I am too lazy to open the hood tonight, I am merely procrastinating on some paperwork, but I looked through the rad and there is a pipe that runs across the bottom of the grille in front of the radiator. It's covered in cooling fins, each end loops back without fins and meets in the center before dropping down under the radiator.

Is this an oil cooler or a tranny cooler? It looks too small to be part of the AC. I never looked under the hood much on the 4.8L. I was only looking under the hood on that one inspecting the fuse box and wiring. If my memory serves me correctly, the 4.8L had a small rectangular cooler in front of the rad.

Last edited by dberladyn; May 21st, 2015 at 9:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading, good move or bad move??? 2500 -> 3500?