Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Upper Ball Joint grease question

Old January 22nd, 2014, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Ball Joint grease question

Hi Everyone!

My 1990 Chevy G20 failed inspection because of an upper ball joint. I ended up replacing both sides myself. However, I think I may have messed up the easiest part. Adding grease. I added too much to the passenger side. There is grease that comes out the top of the rubber boot where the clamp (i guess thats what you'd call it) is. The grease doesn't ooze out continually like a puncture would, but it is there. I wiped it, drove it, and some more came out. I was wondering if eventually it would settle down and be ok or do you think I need to replace it.

Thanks and appreciate any responses. It's supposed to be a cold one tomorrow, and I'd like to avoid anything that's unnecessary.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 9:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

unfortunately, it will always leak grease...continue to grease it at every oil change. do play checks like you would for a normal ball joint to ensure it isn't getting loose.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
unfortunately, it will always leak grease...continue to grease it at every oil change. do play checks like you would for a normal ball joint to ensure it isn't getting loose.
Ok Thanks!! Will do!! Glad I don't have to replace it. I'm burnt out after getting the old riveted ones loose. A lot easier to replace now, but still didn't want to do it twice. Thanks again.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 6:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you over grease you can burst the boot. If its burst, then it will leak grease more than usual and you will have to lube more often.....
Try waiting till it needs grease, then watch and see how much the boot inflates with grease as you add it until it leaks out.....if it leaks out without inflating much then its bad.