Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Van -Rear door lock problem

Old October 18th, 2009, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Express 1500 Van -Help w/Rear door lock problem

On my 2000 conversion van (1500 Express-Gladiator Package) I have the following problem:
The left side rear door, while facing the back of the van, has a problem with the door release. The right door opens normally, which then gives you access to the door release of the left side door(located on side edge of the left door). This door release feels as if it is swinging free inside the door. I removed a recessed tire inflator and housing from the left inside door panel to get a look inside. the upper and lower rods connect to a plate and there is a spring that has fallen loose. This plate is also no longer attached to the release lever. Do you have a diagram of this mechanism intact and what is the best way to gain more access and to put it all back together. Should I take that entire inside door panel off and if so when the trim is removed do you just pry it off? Thanks

Last edited by FranktheDt; October 18th, 2009 at 4:14 PM.
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Express van - Gladiator

I have the same exact issue with my van:

My 1998 conversion van (1500 Express-Gladiator) running into following problem:
The left side rear door, while facing the back of the van, has a problem with the door release. The right door opens normally, which then gives you access to the door release of the left side door(located on side edge of the left door). This door release feels as if it is swinging free inside the door. I removed a recessed tire inflator and housing from the left inside door panel to get a look inside. the upper and lower rods connect to a plate and there is a spring that has fallen loose. This plate is also no longer attached to the release lever. Do you have a diagram of this mechanism intact and what is the best way to gain more access and to put it all back together. Should I take that entire inside door panel off and if so when the trim is removed do you just pry it off? Thanks