Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Vehicle weight

Old February 11th, 2016, 9:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vehicle weight

Just wondering if anyone has had an issue with the weight listed on the title. My first plate renewal was this month and during the process at DMV I was informed that my van weighed 9000 pounds. Its a 2007 2500 express. That was the weight listed on the title. Needles to say, I knew that wasn't the correct weight. I weighed it yesterday on our local public scale and got a 6180 weight. That included a 200 pound tool box and about 100 pounds of misc items laying on the floor. I'm guessing the van weighs about 5800. Here in Colorado any vehicle weighing over 8000 is considered a heavy use vehicle and subject to a much higher tax rate. That was the reason for my inquiry at the DMV. My renewal was much higher than I expected.

Thoughts anyone?
Old February 12th, 2016, 9:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That must be the gross vehicle weight.....not curb weight.
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That means you available payload is 2820 lbs.

Your next question is... does your dmv go by GVW or curb weight for registration?
Old February 12th, 2016, 1:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

something doesn't sound right.
was it brought in from out of state at some point and the wrong weight put on the registration?
I had to provide a registered weigh station certificate of the curb weight to be able to sell my out of province truck.
Old February 13th, 2016, 3:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The van was originally purchased new in New Jersey. Here in Colorado the DMV uses the weight listed on the Title, which is the empty weight, to gauge how much to tax the vehicle for registration purposes. What I find odd about this is that no one caught this sooner. The GVWR is just over 8000. I have no idea about how the incorrect weight could have been entered on the title. A typo perhaps. Anyway my DMV will correct the error so my next renewal fee should be considerably less. My main reason for posting this inquiry was to alert others that maybe they may unknowingly have the same problem.
Old February 14th, 2016, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toolhore
The van was originally purchased new in New Jersey. Here in Colorado the DMV uses the weight listed on the Title, which is the empty weight, to gauge how much to tax the vehicle for registration purposes. What I find odd about this is that no one caught this sooner. The GVWR is just over 8000. I have no idea about how the incorrect weight could have been entered on the title. A typo perhaps. Anyway my DMV will correct the error so my next renewal fee should be considerably less. My main reason for posting this inquiry was to alert others that maybe they may unknowingly have the same problem.
Last October I registered my new 2015 Roadtrek 190P (Chevy G30, 1 ton chassis) and it cost me about $6300 and that was with a trade-in which reduced some of the tax burden. I'll have to check the title for the weight listed. A couple of days ago I weighed it on a CAT scale and it came to 8300# dry.

Search this Thread