Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Very odd Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2015, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very odd Transmission Problem

First and foremost, I would like to start by sharing my appreciation to the community for reading this post and any help or advice provided!

The vehicle in question is a 1999 Express G1500 with the 5.7 engine. It has about 225000 miles. I live in Texas (just in case that matters) and the week before this issue came about it was frozen and icy (just in case THAT matters!)

I made a bout a 50 mile trip, 95% highway. During this trip there were no problems or issues. No shakes, shudders, noises, etc. As I took the exit for the house, I had to stop at a light. At the light, all was normal... nothing weird. Light turns green, I push the gas, and go no where. No where, that is, for about 10 seconds. Then the drive slowly comes back. It does this about 3 more times in the next mile home.

I park the van and let it cool down. After an hour I get back in it, put it in drive, and drive without issue for about 2 miles. Then the issue returns. I find that if I pull over and turn the van off, the immediately turn it back on, I have about another mile before the problem returns.

So, to me that's curious. In my mind (I accept if I'm totally wrong), if the issue were only something mechanical like the transmission, cycling the power wouldn't necessarily reboot or temporarily correct the problem... Are there sensors that could be causing this or....?

So there you have it! Please advise!
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
Sounds like your transmission filter is clogged. Gary(i have a shop in new york)
Old March 12th, 2015, 7:03 PM
CF Senior Member

225,000 miles on original transmission? Is the fluid clean or dirty? Trans last serviced when? Doesn't sound good.
Old March 14th, 2015, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gsferraro
Hello,
Sounds like your transmission filter is clogged. Gary(i have a shop in new york)
Thanks for the advice Gary! How invasive of a job is that? Is the filter on the inside or outside of the transmission?

Basically, can I do the job in my driveway? Thanks!
Old March 14th, 2015, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by greenfire
225,000 miles on original transmission? Is the fluid clean or dirty? Trans last serviced when? Doesn't sound good.
The van is semi-new to me. I have no reason to assume that the transmission isn't original. The fluid is clean. I had a fluid change a few months ago as an after-purchase service.
Old March 14th, 2015, 1:55 PM
CF Senior Member

I would bring it to a good transmission shop and hope for the best.
Old March 14th, 2015, 8:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Hello,
Generally when your filter clogs up that means something is coming apart, in order to change the filter you have to drop the pan and the filter is right there, if you wanted to try thats fine, but i dont know how long it will take to clog again. If you do drop the pan see if theres alot of crap in the pan. Gary
Old March 16th, 2015, 1:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the new fluid has washed out that little bit that was keeping things working. The friction in the fluid makes a diff. I have heard of lots of folks who changed their fluid in their boat velvet drives and after had slippage.....(v-drives use the same fluid)
I agree that it needs to go to a tranny shop. Let them test it, and check for codes.