Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Water Proofing the Interior Body Shell from Moisture and Rust

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2015, 9:15 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Water Proofing the Interior Body Shell from Moisture and Rust

Ok.. I think I finally figured this one out. I am going to coat the entire inside of the body, floor, walls and ceiling in REDGUARD. A DIY approach that should solve all the problems I worry about with it comes to Washout Out the inside by Hosing Water through it and all the problems associated with Insulating the Body.

Thoughts? For me, I don't have to wait for anyone, I can just get going on this at my own speed. At the moment, I seem I think I have what I need here to get this project rolling.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/tds/tds-104.pdf
Old August 15th, 2015, 5:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

redguard will probably do what you want, but nothing will be good enough for you to spray out the interior of the van. Just want too many nooks and crannies for the water to get in to. In my opinion, I think you are going way overboard on everything you are trying to do, and are venturing in to unknown waters. Which is why you aren't getting much help.

I am sure I said this in one of your earlier threads, but check out sites like the expedition portal forums, and the sportsmobile forums. They are doing things much closer to what you are trying to do, than anyone here IMHO.
Old August 15th, 2015, 8:56 PM
CF Pro Member

Thanks for the info and the reply. I have visited other forums, they are where a lot of my concerns came from. I don't really know what the best route is. I am tending to believe no insulation and lots of air movement is the true answer. However, I know from the heat wave we just had, I want insulation. And my memories from driving cargo vans in the winter 20 years ago, I want insulation.

I am definitely going over-board. But, some of these materials like the blue skin, I may as well burn up. The REDGUARD is the best idea yet I think. That stuff is like a low temp wax. If you manage to peel some of it, it leaves the paint underneath very clean. Now, I said low temp wax... I am starting to have some reservations on using it with the black panels heated by the sun. Will it melt and let go? This van gets HOT. I mean really HOT.

As you can see from the pics I have pulled everything out. Cleaned it, then REDGUARD'ed the entire floor, two coats. In the cab I applied the BLUE SKIN on top of this as a poor man's sound deadener. Then, I've applied successive layers of 1/4" cork in the cab to raise and level the floor to fix those thick cables and the bumps they create. It worked well, I wonder if the cork will dry and crumble over time? In the cargo hold, two layers of RedGuard, one layer of 1/4" cork, well two layers if you count the grooves. Over top of all this will be 3/8" plywood which will be start of my base. I'm getting some great ideas, you'll have to see where I go with it. Plywood install starts tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Water Proofing the Interior Body Shell from Moisture and Rust-dsc_0060.jpg   Water Proofing the Interior Body Shell from Moisture and Rust-dsc_0070.jpg   Water Proofing the Interior Body Shell from Moisture and Rust-dsc_0078.jpg   Water Proofing the Interior Body Shell from Moisture and Rust-dsc_0085.jpg  

Last edited by dberladyn; August 15th, 2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old August 16th, 2015, 5:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redguard is basically pure rubber, and not wax. it also should not melt with hot temps. But you are the first person to ever use it in a vehicle that I know of.

I would have stuck with the bedliner material, it would do the same thing, and is made to take abuse. Redguard is made to waterproof showers, etc. But will probably hold up underneath the other stuff you have.
Old August 16th, 2015, 10:40 AM
CF Pro Member

That's pure rubber? It's like wax as it hardens. It's only going in places that are covered. Basically my idea is to have it on the steel shell, so if there's any condensation or pooling, the water is sitting against the RedGuard and not the metal, therefore no corrosion, no rust.